• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Long holidays and CVs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long holidays and CVs

I've just taken a holiday for a whole month and I'm now back on the contract hunt. The holiday wasn't a relaxing sun and sand hoiliday, it was more of a travelling and exploration trip, and I think of it more as a mini sabattical.

Does anyone put this kind of thing on their CV rather than leaving an unexplained gap? or am I just making a fuss about nothing? I'm just paranoid about agents thinking I've been unplaceable for a whole month.

Thanks,

CS

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    I've just taken a holiday for a whole month and I'm now back on the contract hunt. The holiday wasn't a relaxing sun and sand hoiliday, it was more of a travelling and exploration trip, and I think of it more as a mini sabattical.

Does anyone put this kind of thing on their CV rather than leaving an unexplained gap? or am I just making a fuss about nothing? I'm just paranoid about agents thinking I've been unplaceable for a whole month.

Thanks,

CS

Don't worry about it for the moment - a 1/2/3 month gap is acceptable given the current market. Not sure what the upper limit would be before agents would start questioning suitability - other posters may be able to advise.

Comment

I do find it frustrating that contractors are questioned at ALL about CV gaps. My two gaps are 1. out of choice and then 2. maternity leave. Beyond proving I wasn't in prison during those times, I don't feel it's anyone's business why I have gaps. I'm a contractor FFS.

Rant over, and in conclusion, don't worry about a gap like that.
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

**** that! A break of a month is neither here nor there. And if prospective clients ask you to explain the gap just tell them you run your own business!
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          Don't worry about it for the moment - a 1/2/3 month gap is acceptable given the current market. Not sure what the upper limit would be before agents would start questioning suitability - other posters may be able to advise.
          Depends on how thick the agent is.

Seriously half of agents who question it do it so they know that if the client asks you at interview you have a good reason for it. So if they ask you tell them the truth. You may find that the client has gone to the places you have been as well.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
            I do find it frustrating that contractors are questioned at ALL about CV gaps. My two gaps are 1. out of choice and then 2. maternity leave. Beyond proving I wasn't in prison during those times, I don't feel it's anyone's business why I have gaps. I'm a contractor FFS.

Rant over, and in conclusion, don't worry about a gap like that.
            Same here, all my gaps are out of choice. It's also a good way of spotting neurotic pimps and permies.

As for a month don't worry about it.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
              I've gone walkabout and put gaps of 7. 9 and 12 months on my CV and I had a ball doing all of those breaks, you just need a reasonable explanation of what you were doing - just make sure it sounds constructive!

1 month off? That's called a "holiday". You don't have to work your self 24/7 you know. Don't even bother trying to explain it.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Oct 2008 – Apr 2009 Career Break

Travel to California, South America and Australia.

The exact wording on my CV. I have not struggled to find work since.

Comment

Originally posted by youwhut View Post
                  The exact wording on my CV. I have not struggled to find work since.

Contractor Profile.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                    I've gone walkabout and put gaps of 7. 9 and 12 months on my CV and I had a ball doing all of those breaks, you just need a reasonable explanation of what you were doing - just make sure it sounds constructive!

1 month off? That's called a "holiday". You don't have to work your self 24/7 you know. Don't even bother trying to explain it.
                    Did you ever feel/know if any pimps rejected your CV outright due to these gaps.

I have heard some pimps do that.

Comment

Working...
                    X