• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Grrr agencies will be the death of me!"

Collapse

• DS23
    replied
    one persons commuting hell is another persons cushy number. i've only had two uk based contracts in the last 7 years and for me a long commute is preferable to a stay away. contracting by its very nature requires flexibility in working practice. the more flexible you are the greater the opportunites you should get. if you can live with less then so be it. if you can't - then adapt. or whinge. whatever.

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    All, it's against the agency regulations for an agency to submit you for a contract without telling you who the client is, especially if you ask to know the client name. Don't let them put you forward to such clients unless they tell you the client name, or tell them to check up on the agency regs if they without the client name.

Leave a comment:

• supergal
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    WTF are you on about?

I at home because I am not a UK business. Officially, I'm getting medical treatment, but I'm not sure how long I can get away with that one.

If I was a UK business, I'd be out of here and into a proper office like a shot.

Yep, you've got it. Fracks my mind up. I lose sync with what day it is, or even what time of day it is. Personal standards drop . I work at my desk from when I get up until the time I go to bed. It's the same every day of the week.
    Sorry , try meetup.com

I am working like hell to try quit the 5-9 insanity.

Sure I am counting on success and money would save me from 10 hours on the pc at home blogging. Hopes , hopes.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Piece of piss. Im currently back doing 160 mile daily commute again. Hour 50 mins to get home tonight too! I did it for 3 and a half years with the same client up to November last year as well.

40 miles is bleeding walking distance!
    Come back with your "piece of piss" stories when you've done that through the Winter on a motorbike, in the snow. That's what I did. You're just a big soft girl, you. Don't know what a real commute is.

I don't know, contractors are getting so soft these days...

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by supergal View Post
    Why do you hate it ? You are homepreneur, you chose it if you can't take it go work at tesco.
    WTF are you on about?

I at home because I am not a UK business. Officially, I'm getting medical treatment, but I'm not sure how long I can get away with that one.

If I was a UK business, I'd be out of here and into a proper office like a shot.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Have to agree with HAB. I had a 2 year stint of working from home and it was bloody awful. Not seeing another body for days on end. I had to stop the postman just to chat to a real life human being so he changed his route so he delivered before I got up. Can be very demoralising.
    Yep, you've got it. Fracks my mind up. I lose sync with what day it is, or even what time of day it is. Personal standards drop . I work at my desk from when I get up until the time I go to bed. It's the same every day of the week.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by supergal View Post
    Why do you hate it ? You are homepreneur, you chose it if you can't take it go work at tesco.
    Have to agree with HAB. I had a 2 year stint of working from home and it was bloody awful. Not seeing another body for days on end. I had to stop the postman just to chat to a real life human being so he changed his route so he delivered before I got up. Can be very demoralising.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by nfoote View Post
    Sure, I reckon more coin is the key perk too, as in a bonus or extra benefit of the lifestyle choice that is contracting. I guess within that choice there's lifestyle and there's LIFEstyle.
    I have no idea what that means

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Sure, I reckon more coin is the key perk too, as in a bonus or extra benefit of the lifestyle choice that is contracting. I guess within that choice there's lifestyle and there's LIFEstyle.
    ...and then there's recession...

Leave a comment:

• nfoote
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    the real perk of contracting

Leave a comment:

• supergal
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    In the early 90's recession I did the long commutes around the country and I hated it. These days I'm too old and I could not take it anymore.

On the other hand I now 'work' from home - AND I HATE IT. I am never going to do this again.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    [QUOTE=nfoote;1175538]Agreed, where are your LIVES going? One of the perks of contracting is having a lot more time to enjoy life (between contracts etc), where's the enjoyment in 2+ hours travel each way each day? My current commute is 25min .. on a bicycle .. and as I said before I have nobody waiting at home depending on me to do anything for them, and I STILL look for ways to make more of my life MINE.
    [QUOTE]

That's jolly nice for you, but I'm sure people don't commute so far out of choice.

Most of us take roles as they come up, and try to take advantage of the real perk of contracting (more money than perm).

Leave a comment:

• dynamicsaxcontractor
    replied
    Agreed, where are your LIVES going? One of the perks of contracting is having a lot more time to enjoy life (between contracts etc), where's the enjoyment in 2+ hours travel each way each day? My current commute is 25min .. on a bicycle .. and as I said before I have nobody waiting at home depending on me to do anything for them, and I STILL look for ways to make more of my life MINE.

Maybe its cos I come from smaller country (population, bigger physical) where driving an hour to the next town is considered a day trip and 2 hours is a weekend getaway but I'll tell you now, I'll never in my life commute 4 hours a day. Jobs and money are way too far down the list for that kind of carry on!
    I totally agree. My contracts are generally 2 hours+ away from home, always stay over and arrange for a minimum of 1 day working from home per week.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Yeah, but if they won't tell offer a rate then you have to offer them one. There is no way I'm going to an interview without having a ball park rate on the table. It would be like going to have a look at a used car without knowing how much the seller is asking for it.

Agent: "We don't have a rate for this job."
    Contractor: OK, I'm looking to charge between X and Y per day, put that to the client along with my CV. If they aren't willing to pay in that range then let's not waste everyone's time. If we do the interview and the client are interested then we can negotiate something in that range. Don't presume that I will cave in and take an offer at the lower end of my range either - the rate I charge depends on the requirements of the position.
    Totally agree to both posters quoting my comment. You can negotiate with them yes but don't expect to be spoon fed a rate. It is up to you to negotiate if this is the case. I am not saying walk away or go in blind, that would be plain stupid. Gotta use a bit of nouse.

Leave a comment:

• nfoote
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    7 years and counting, 4 hour daily commute.
    Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    250 mile round trip per day 5 days a week . . . on the m1 with the roadworks
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    Am I the only one unimpressed by people who live no life by commuting for hours each day?
    Agreed, where are your LIVES going? One of the perks of contracting is having a lot more time to enjoy life (between contracts etc), where's the enjoyment in 2+ hours travel each way each day? My current commute is 25min .. on a bicycle .. and as I said before I have nobody waiting at home depending on me to do anything for them, and I STILL look for ways to make more of my life MINE.

Maybe its cos I come from smaller country (population, bigger physical) where driving an hour to the next town is considered a day trip and 2 hours is a weekend getaway but I'll tell you now, I'll never in my life commute 4 hours a day. Jobs and money are way too far down the list for that kind of carry on!

Leave a comment:

• lje
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    I think we've found a winner folks....
    Well I do 22 miles round trip a day. That's a winner in my book...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X