• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If you were HIRING a contractor..."

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
    What northernladuk said, plus:

the agent lied to the client about your CV and/or experience, to get you in.
    <GASP> They would never.............. would they?!?!? The rotten scoundrels lol

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Growernotashower View Post
    Can't believe you letting him get away with this! I make a grammatical error and get my bot bot spanked, he calls the majority of you rubbish and nothing!

No Justice in this world
    Cause you were the only person that rose to it! I had a bit of a nibble of the bait but managed to back off with my dignity intact

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    The company I am currently contracted to I applied to work for directly but they rejected me. I went through an agency and they were desperate for me to join. Can somebody explain that one to me? Couldn't they have just saved themselves 5k or so and just gone with me initially?
    Some companies just have a policy not to hire direct, many reasons for this, some invalid, others not so much.

But simplest rule of thumb to know is ask the question

"do they view and treat contractors as companies they do business with or as a flexible labour force?"

If the latter they generally go though agencies, if the former more likely to accept direct (but certainly not guaranteed as they might not for other reason's like simplified invoicing)

Originally posted by Growernotashower View Post
    Can't believe you letting him get away with this! I make a grammatical error and get my bot bot spanked, he calls the majority of you rubbish and nothing!

No Justice in this world
    Because he is just being a general troll and you should not feed trolls

As to the OP's question, if i did not know someone who could fill the role would go agency route, especially in todays market. Post a decent role at decent rate and the amount of CV's you get would crush a grown man to death. Agencies are the "first line of defense"
    Last edited by Not So Wise; 4 February 2010, 14:55.

Leave a comment:

• Growernotashower
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    I avoid agencies, because they only seem able to supply the calibre of contractor that uses agencies.

No Justice in this world

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    The company I am currently contracted to I applied to work for directly but they rejected me. I went through an agency and they were desperate for me to join. Can somebody explain that one to me? Couldn't they have just saved themselves 5k or so and just gone with me initially?
    What northernladuk said, plus:

the agent lied to the client about your CV and/or experience, to get you in.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

There could be a whole host of reasons for this and judging by some of your posts in the last few months could some really obscure things we can't even begin to imagine, sorry.

Could it be the way you approaced them? Your sales pitch, the fact they don't take on direct, the fact they prefer an agent? If a hiring manager has a budget to spend he won't be doing himself any favours saving the company a few K but opening himself up to a tulip storm should it all go wrong and you are directly contract. Remember this is your first contract so you are a huge risk and maybe showed him a bit of the naivity you showed on the forum so he put you through an agent to lessen the risk on him?

Did they reject you or just turn down your application direct and went through agent as that is their process which is totally different. Your use of the word reject might not be the right word

ad infinitum....

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    I avoid agencies, because they only seem able to supply the calibre of contractor that uses agencies.
    Eh? not sure I understand what this means? Are you implying contractors working via agencies tend to be worse than one that go direct?

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by northernrampage View Post
    Friends/colleagues, perhaps Linkedin.

Then agent. I'd probably use agent from the beginning anyway to try and get more choice. No way would I stick on jobserve and do myself... unless perhaps I was leaving company and winding down my work.. would take too long.

So no matter what I say about agents...they definitely have their uses. I'd use one that had dealt with me well in the past, and seemed to consider the client's needs as well.
    I would go with this one to be honest. Yes get someone in I know if I could but apart from that let the agents do the legwork. I would think it is only the contractors they piss off and would be pretty good with me as a client.

Leave a comment:

• northernrampage
    replied
    Friends/colleagues, perhaps Linkedin.

Then agent. I'd probably use agent from the beginning anyway to try and get more choice. No way would I stick on jobserve and do myself... unless perhaps I was leaving company and winding down my work.. would take too long.

So no matter what I say about agents...they definitely have their uses. I'd use one that had dealt with me well in the past, and seemed to consider the client's needs as well.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    It would depend.

If it were for a role where I had no contacts, I'd definitely use an agent.

But since everybody in my niche knows everybody else it would be a bit pointless for me to use an agent when a few phone calls would do.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Would you use an agency, or just stick it on Jobserve yourself?
    If it was for MyCo - then via Networking

If it were for ClientCo - Whatever... although I would pass my relevant "Associates" onto ClientCo....

PS Dodgy... I would call you................ to tell you about the role you weren't getting a sniff of!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I would get one of my mates in, subcontracted via my own company so that I could take a cut.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X