• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting in United states"

Collapse

• zemoxyl
    replied
    Originally posted by andyskiv View Post
    I am going to head to the US this year. Ended up setting up my own company and getting a visa based on the fact I'd be an employee of it. Took a while, only because I needed references from most of my clients. I used a immigration law firm (ASK Law Group in Los Angeles) to do the paperwork and cost me about $4k (ish).
    How long are you planning in going over there for ? Sounds long term ?

Leave a comment:

• andyskiv
    replied
    I am going to head to the US this year. Ended up setting up my own company and getting a visa based on the fact I'd be an employee of it. Took a while, only because I needed references from most of my clients. I used a immigration law firm (ASK Law Group in Los Angeles) to do the paperwork and cost me about $4k (ish).

Leave a comment:

• CssBoyo
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    Canada any better?
    Not really - rates aren't that good, taxes are higher than US and housing prices are going from the obscene to the you-must-be-joking.

There's also that thing called "Canadian Experience", which they'll apply to everybody and the "networking" thing here is huge meaning that people generally get employed 'cos they used to work with the VP's wife a few years back, etc., etc.

Still if you like snow and sub-zero temperatures for 6 months of the year...

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    No idea, to far north for me to consider

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
    Got to agree with PM, for many years it was my plan to return state side (worked there years ago) and stay there, but with way they have been going for last 5 years or so (i travel there quite frequently) you could not pay me enough money to go back full time, especially to work in IT
    Canada any better?

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Got to agree with PM, for many years it was my plan to return state side (worked there years ago) and stay there, but with way they have been going for last 5 years or so (i travel there quite frequently) you could not pay me enough money to go back full time, especially to work in IT

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    My advice is to think long and hard about this. I spend a lot of time in the US (mostly East and West coast), and have done over the last 15 years, and in my experience (the experience of others may differ of course) it is becoming a noticeably angry and unwelcoming place. Its nowhere near as enjoyable as it was even 5 years ago...now every time I am there I can't help wondering when they are all going to start shooting each other. Not only that, but some individuals can be very quick to blame foreigners for their ills, with the resulting uncomfortable experiences. It's all very sad.

Even the English accent doesn't work as well anymore

Lots and lots of very unhappy people there (not that here is any different of course - but then we are British, we are supposed to be miserable).
    Hmmm, that's sad. I've always had an ambition to try and work a year or two in the US if the opportunity arose.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    My UK mate is living in Framingham, Boston on $60 a hour and he's struggling. Mind u more fool him for buying a four bed with a pool when he's single...

And he's still got my Sun Ray devices I won on Ebay for shipping on to me...

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    My advice is to think long and hard about this. I spend a lot of time in the US (mostly East and West coast), and have done over the last 15 years, and in my experience (the experience of others may differ of course) it is becoming a noticeably angry and unwelcoming place. Its nowhere near as enjoyable as it was even 5 years ago...now every time I am there I can't help wondering when they are all going to start shooting each other. Not only that, but some individuals can be very quick to blame foreigners for their ills, with the resulting uncomfortable experiences. It's all very sad.

Even the English accent doesn't work as well anymore

Lots and lots of very unhappy people there (not that here is any different of course - but then we are British, we are supposed to be miserable).

Leave a comment:

• weboo
    replied
    browse to dice.com find a job that is willing to sponsor you

Leave a comment:

replied
    work visa

Your American employer will have to sponsor a work visa. I think you would have to be on your agency's payroll and they'd have to get you a visa which costs money and takes a while. Most 'contractors' here are agency temps.
    Your British ltd company can't get you a work visa. Sorry but it may be difficult. The rates here are generally rubbish anyway.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Originally posted by escado View Post
    I have a limited company and looking for information on what I need in order to take on a short term contract (6months) in the states?
    A work permit, unless you want to be a gardener or pool cleaner, then you just need to be Mexican.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    an american passport

Leave a comment:

• escado
    started a topic Contracting in United states

Contracting in United states

I have a limited company and looking for information on what I need in order to take on a short term contract (6months) in the states?

Working...
X