• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is it worth calling agents after sending CV..?"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by EddieNambulous View Post
    Then again, I am a believer that one's mental attitude and one's results are connected.
    That is true to a certain extent, I often go swimming or walking in the morning when benched as it gives me a chance to clear my mind and focus on what I want.

10 minutes of getting home checking email and trawling the job sites is enough to knock me back into a bad mood.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    You'll be alright then. According to Milan (or was it Dim, I forget), .Net is the future...
    I think is was Milan. But it was a long time ago.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    I decided to follow up calls this week - and they have all taken the calls and CV has apparently been sent over

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Yeah, something like that

Area = .NET
    You'll be alright then. According to Milan (or was it Dim, I forget), .Net is the future...

So, this thread can be locked with the outcome being:

Everyone has a different opinion on this.

Wow - fascinating!!!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    There's no harm in calling an hour or two after sending the CV. If you get through to the agent, they'll probably say they'll look at it later, and that is the time to start selling to them.

To get through the "rottweilers", just pretend to be Mr NaiveBigBoss from HugeClient Plc, thats interested in placing a role with Mr NotARealNameAtAll that's very similar to the advertised role. When you get through, again, start selling.

But this tend only to work when you're one in a thousand, rather than one of a thousand...
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 27 January 2010, 11:22.

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Then again, I am a believer that one's mental attitude and one's results are connected.
    So... you're saying that all those contractors on the bench are just there because they beleived that they would end up on the bench?

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by George Parr View Post
    They submit the first three and you're frukked.
    From what I'm seeing in the current market, they are not really looking at the CVs. I had to vet some for my replacement and the pimps were sending in any old carp.

I get the feeling they get a shedload, send the first 5 and then rest go in the bin.

Leave a comment:

• EddieNambulous
    replied
    And to EddieNambulous, there is an argument that, if one opportunity goes away, another will follow. Is this what you're referring to? What is your area btw?
    Yeah, something like that

Area = .NET

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    IMO a waste of time. Done it a few times for roles that seemed perfect for and found it a waste of time.
    I'm not even looking for work right now, and despite loads of contractors I'm sure are on the bench, I've just had two calls about the same role from different agencies. If real jobs exist, if your CV is in the right place already, they'll come looking for you.
    I do however submit my CV to jobs advertised when I am looking for work, I just don't follow up by calling them. If I don't get a call back then it's obvious they already have loads of canidates to consider, or the role doesn't exist. I'm sure for desperados it may be more worthwhile, increases chances that little bit more I suppose, but it costs time and money for the call .

Admit I'm never desperate to start the next contract anymore so more than happy to wait for the better/more suitable contracts to come along where I'll usually get a call anyway from one or more of the agencies I've worked with before.

Leave a comment:

• George Parr
    replied
    Fair point. Although, when they have 120 CV's in their inbox and can only submit 3, what happens when you're the 10th CV which matches the skills and experience required?
    They submit the first three and you're frukked.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    I used to chase gigs that I applied for.

These days if there's summat in my niche market I'll get a call from the usual suspects.

I've found lately that all you are going to get is the "away from their desk" or "in a meeting" spiel.
    Until you say he called earlier about an urgent role... all of a sudden they're spotted coming back into the office.

I wish they were more up front, I’d much rather be told I was unsuitable/too late than be left thinking I still maybe in with a shout when in reality my CV went straight in the recycle bin.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    I used to chase gigs that I applied for.

These days if there's summat in my niche market I'll get a call from the usual suspects.

I've found lately that all you are going to get is the "away from their desk" or "in a meeting" spiel.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
    Never. If an agent is interested in you they will go through hell and high water to get in contact with you.
    Fair point. Although, when they have 120 CV's in their inbox and can only submit 3, what happens when you're the 10th CV which matches the skills and experience required?

And to EddieNambulous, there is an argument that, if one opportunity goes away, another will follow. Is this what you're referring to? What is your area btw?

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    Never. If an agent is interested in you they will go through hell and high water to get in contact with you.

Leave a comment:

• EddieNambulous
    replied
    I never chase agents *ever*.

I didn't get into contracting to spend my downtime looking for contracting work. If there's work out there that suits me, an agent will be in touch sooner or later.

And, yes, I am doing pretty well gig-wise even during this recession with this laid-back attitude.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X