• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "career break on the CV?"

Collapse

• Svalbaard
    replied
    Put "Career break" down with the dates, and a bullet point under it stating "see end of CV for details".

I have this on my CV and have not had any issues. In many cases the hiring managers are often more interested in what I have been doing, than talking about the work that they want me to do.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by shoes View Post
    If you were an employee consultant at EDS you'd just put that wouldn't you, not 2 weeks here, 9 months there etc etc.
    Not if I was now looking for a contract gig, I wouldn't.

My CV details the permie time working for Oracle, and each individual project after that.

If you want to put some kind of experience down, rather than holiday time, put your company down and tell the agent that you can't go into more detail because it was covered by an NDA.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    One beak I had I described as

It was the most accurate bit on the CV too. The agent left it in too. It worked like a charm.
    At a time when house prices were rising like nobody's business I simply put down that I'd had a break to concentrate on house hunting. Everyone understood that one.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Honesty pays. If you've had a break be honest. I had a 14 month break due to starting up another completely different non IT related business.

Put this on the cv and had no problems whatsoever.

Leave a comment:

• RedTag
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Exactly.

I've just completed the "5 year vetting sheet" for my current new gig. I crossed out everything on the 2nd , 3rd and 4th pages, which asked about "employment history, periods of unemployment, reasons for leaving, terminations, dismissals, etc."

I filled in only the last page, which asked if I had been "self-employed or a Director of a limited compnay." I just simply wrote my ltd company name and stated I'd been employed by them continuously for the last 20 years. Only references I agreed to supply were two "character" references - i.e. two people I'd worked with at prior sites. All of this didn't prove to be a problem.

Nomadd
    Sounds like Hays...

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by shoes View Post
    None of their business, surely! Can you do the work they need doing or not, that's their only concern. And to those talking about clearance, you've been an employee of your Ltd for the last x years, no need to disclose what clients your Ltd company had over that time.. If you were an employee consultant at EDS you'd just put that wouldn't you, not 2 weeks here, 9 months there etc etc.
    Exactly.

I've just completed the "5 year vetting sheet" for my current new gig. I crossed out everything on the 2nd , 3rd and 4th pages, which asked about "employment history, periods of unemployment, reasons for leaving, terminations, dismissals, etc."

I filled in only the last page, which asked if I had been "self-employed or a Director of a limited compnay." I just simply wrote my ltd company name and stated I'd been employed by them continuously for the last 20 years. Only references I agreed to supply were two "character" references - i.e. two people I'd worked with at prior sites. All of this didn't prove to be a problem.

Nomadd

Leave a comment:

• dude69
    replied
    Agent told me my banking experience was worth zero as the banks only want 'current' experience and I'd been off for 12 months.

Leave a comment:

• TiroFijo
    replied
    I would extend your last job to cover all or most of the time you took off, just have someone at your last place ready to cover for you if in the rare chance they might get called up for a reference.

There are people on and off this BB who ave been benched for months on end due to the current market who I'm sure will not have any probs getting a contract again when the jobs start comming back. I was benched at the end of 2001 for almost 5 months when I got a long multi year contract.

Unfortunately I have been seeing the long lists of skills that they clients seems to think they can get now due to the downturn, it always happens during a recession. I had one telephone interview where I had a one hour java skills tests (emailing me code during the interview) which I did very well in. I was then invinted down to a f2f where there was anothet test waiting for me testing on everything in JEE not just the java stuff then they had 3 people in the room at the same time firing techie question after techie question for another 2 hours after that. I also had to draw stuff on a white board about how I would implement this, that and the other. I've never seen anything like it before.

Too be honest with crap rates and the likely hood of months on the bench between contracts I hardly think contracting is worth it anymore. I've been contracting since 2001 and when you factor in the above you are really not earning that much more than a permy these days. Just look at all the benched threads here and of course RC's thread also.
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 16 October 2009, 06:47.

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    None of their business, surely! Can you do the work they need doing or not, that's their only concern. And to those talking about clearance, you've been an employee of your Ltd for the last x years, no need to disclose what clients your Ltd company had over that time.. If you were an employee consultant at EDS you'd just put that wouldn't you, not 2 weeks here, 9 months there etc etc.

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    Not much has changed

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
    Just got back from a ten month round the world trip after too many years contarcting and prem as a developer

This was a good strategy during the current financial crisis. You probabily
    have not lost the chance to gain any new skills as not much has been happening while you were away.
    What looks better on your CV? A gap of 10 months or a 10 months stupid contract on a more junior lower paid role which added no value to your CV.
    I believe that every contract should increase your skill level and taking
    up a contract doing something simple that you did 5 years ago is damaging
    in the long run
    The whole point of contracting is to work when you want and where.
    A gap in your CV during an Economic boom might look suspect.

Leave a comment:

• RedTag
    replied
    I don't see what the big issue is. Everyone knows what the climate is like and we're all human. if you're benched because your contract was terminated due to the crunch or you took a few months off, there's no issue.

The blokes doing the hiring couldn't give a toss (I'm one of 'em) as long as the gap doesn't set off any alarm bells by either being far too long (relative to the tech you work with and how quickly it moves) or suspect in some other manner.

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Be honest!!!! Thats my advice because.....

I have two friends who followed the sun for a year and in BOTH cases they covered it up by extending both the job they did before and the job they did after and BOTH of them got caught out while doing checks. I believe in both cases it was a financial check (I think) which required them to submit information to prove they hadn't been in jail or something or something while not working, which obviously then differed to their CV. Lying on CV's baaaaaaaaad...

Obviously you only get caught if they check and am sure plenty of people will tell you they got away with it for decades etc...

A career break isn't a bad thing so can't see that it would overaly damage your case anyway.
    Exactly the same happened to me, I extended one role on my CV to cover travelling up, then the full 5 year vetting came through, gulp - had to withdraw. Then changed CV to be completely and put it out there again, no issues securing my next gig, which I had to go through vetting for again.

In this day and age, you must be completely honest, all financial services firms now go through these vetting procedures. in hindsight, companies aren't that bothered about career breaks as long as you still know your stuff, I had to explain 2 major travelling trips ( 6 months each) and 2 snowboard seasons, without issue

Leave a comment:

• northernrampage
    replied
    you'll get interviews even if honest

I've had 14 mths off to care for someone and study.

Started looking very slowly again in May. Only applied for a couple of permanent jobs I really wanted as got exams next week, 2 of those I got interviews for (the companies I went for would have had a lot of people applying, and they picked me despite the career gap). Didn't get the jobs though as my interviewing skill are dire.

I've just managed to get a freelance interview tomorrow through a friend of a friend. I've been honest on my CV and just said took a short career break to study and care for someone, but if I don't get this one I'm tempted to remove the caring bit as think it seems a bit maudlin.

No-one has even mentioned anything at interview, but I think a lot of people don't even read your CV properly half the time. Only negative thing I've had is one agent trying to lower my rate. And I don't think my career gap stopped me getting the jobs, it was me going "erm" and looking nervous.

Leave a comment:

• hgllgh
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

A career break isn't a bad thing so can't see that it would overaly damage your case anyway.
    Agreed. I think I will go for something along the lines that HairyArsedBloke used.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Be honest!!!! Thats my advice because.....

I have two friends who followed the sun for a year and in BOTH cases they covered it up by extending both the job they did before and the job they did after and BOTH of them got caught out while doing checks. I believe in both cases it was a financial check (I think) which required them to submit information to prove they hadn't been in jail or something or something while not working, which obviously then differed to their CV. Lying on CV's baaaaaaaaad...

Obviously you only get caught if they check and am sure plenty of people will tell you they got away with it for decades etc...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X