• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Time to buy a new laptop?"

Collapse

• MrToast
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    You could always by an 'ordinary' laptop and a spare battery
    Ordinary? Spare battery? Are you insane? I'm a contractor not a bloody peasant.

Leave a comment:

• MikeC1408
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    Or a Mac Book Pro running VM.

Been getting about 7.5 Hours out of mine.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    I've had 9+ hours on my asus notebook.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by MrToast View Post
    Which model is this, AP? I'm on the lookout for a new laptop and 8 hours sounds very good.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by MrToast View Post
    Which model is this, AP? I'm on the lookout for a new laptop and 8 hours sounds very good.
    I'd guess at an Acer Aspire Timeline - at least that's what googling "acer 8 hour battery life" gives you.

Leave a comment:

• MrToast
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    I think there is a limit on the yearly spend on computers about 10K I think.

Just bought the new Acer, 8 hour battery (needed for India).

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Oh- it'll be used for company business...

Thanks chaps. I'm nowhere close to 10K (9.6 off it, in fact...)

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Mr C's old laptop has just gone pop on him (literally...) and I want to give him mine and get myself a new one.

I bought it last September - can I buy a new one every year?
    You can buy a new one every week, if you like. Only thing you have to be careful of is the "giving away" of the old one. If it's not being scrapped, then you'd have to sell it to Mr C. and put the money in the company account.

But what I think you are suggesting is "can I have two of the things in my company and both owned by it." Again, that's not a problem. If the IR ever investigate, just tell them your old machine couldn't keep up so you bought a better one. When I last had an IR inspection, I had 3 machines, and they didn't give a damn. I have a mate who is a fellow contractor with 5 laptops. Go figure.

Nomadd

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Mr C's old laptop has just gone pop on him (literally...) and I want to give him mine and get myself a new one.

I think there is a limit on the yearly spend on computers about 10K I think.

Just bought the new Acer, 8 hour battery (needed for India).

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    started a topic Time to buy a new laptop?

Time to buy a new laptop?

Working...
X