• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How do I ask for **Open book?** (Urgent Help Requested)"

Collapse

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    Ah how very true. At last you realise....nobody believes the crap.
    Amen to that.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by shanti View Post
    You won't believe the crap one had to deal with - to get a contract on the right terms.

The agents tried everything and anything, including one of the pimps declaring it over on 3 occasions and calling back to try and get a bit more, eventually declaring it was not going to happen. Surprise, surprise a different pimp in the office then phoned back and apologise for his peer (good cop/bad cop routine) and backed down.

When you stick to your guns, and listen carefully to the message between the lines - you'll see through their bull. They fight tooth and nail for their margin, even when unreasonable - its been an education.
    Ah how very true. At last you realise....nobody believes the crap.

Leave a comment:

• shanti
    replied
    To close the loop... seems as though I got my way, agent has revealed and compromised completely on margins as we are in the 11th hour before beginning the work. And now awaiting a contract. I think the strategy taken here - has provided a result.
    You won't believe the crap one had to deal with - to get a contract on the right terms.

The agents tried everything and anything, including one of the pimps declaring it over on 3 occasions and calling back to try and get a bit more, eventually declaring it was not going to happen. Surprise, surprise a different pimp in the office then phoned back and apologise for his peer (good cop/bad cop routine) and backed down.

When you stick to your guns, and listen carefully to the message between the lines - you'll see through their bull. They fight tooth and nail for their margin, even when unreasonable - its been an education.
    Last edited by shanti; 16 July 2009, 23:12.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    I think once the client realises what a whingeing little girl you are you'll be out in a fortnight.

HTH
    As long as that? I'm expecting 2 or 3 days at most.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    To close the loop... seems as though I got my way, agent has revealed and compromised completely on margins as we are in the 11th hour before beginning the work. And now awaiting a contract. I think the strategy taken here - has provided a result.
    I think once the client realises what a whingeing little girl you are you'll be out in a fortnight.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• shanti
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Please do let us know how you get on... I'd be interested to know how successful you are. Please also let us know who the agency and client is, so that we can try the same thing with them.

Leave a comment:

• EddieNambulous
    replied
    Originally posted by EddieNambulous View Post
    Seems to me, you only have to search the forum for anyone else that uses the phrase your right instead of you're right and you have circumstantial evidence (or not) if shanti is genuine.
    Here's the relevant google search...some interesting possibilities in there...
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22...ntractoruk.com

Leave a comment:

• shanti
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Please do let us know how you get on... I'd be interested to know how successful you are.
    Well, last I heard agent has agreed to be open books and has declared their agency margin at 20% for resourcing a local government contract in the south (awaiting evidence to be absolutely sure this is correct - perhaps get the master schedule).

As per past postings, I think this is a little on the high side considering the market - and as its a set budget from the Clientco, its eating into my rate - considering I am the only one in the running, I should push it down a wee bit.

Leave a comment:

• EddieNambulous
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    He's also incapable of understanding that the word your is not an acceptable substitute for you're as they have totally different meanings.
    Seems to me, you only have to search the forum for anyone else that uses the phrase your right instead of you're right and you have circumstantial evidence (or not) if shanti is genuine.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    You are either the thickest person I have met in a few years AND have the inability to remember your own vocabulary, or you are a troll.

I'm not playing any more.
    I don't think you have met me...... So it "might" not be a Troll!

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I'm not Indian dude. So you can skip the racial stereotypes.
    You are either the thickest person I have met in a few years AND have the inability to remember your own vocabulary, or you are a troll.

I'm not playing any more.

Leave a comment:

• shanti
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    No, I would have done a far better job of pretending to be Shanti. I'd have got bits in about sending money home, avoiding tax and "is it being fair my agency are taking some of my moneys for my accommodations and meals out of my salary?"
    I'm not Indian dude. So you can skip the racial stereotypes.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Are Shanti & RC the same person?
    No, I would have done a far better job of pretending to be Shanti. I'd have got bits in about sending money home, avoiding tax and "is it being fair my agency are taking some of my moneys for my accommodations and meals out of my salary?"

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Very insightful. Well the strategy I'm going to take is:

1. Make it a short one, to begin with - 3 months
    2. Don't argue about too much stuff - get in with Clientco
    3. Ensure not being ripped off - Open Books
    4. Renegotiate at renewal and get the restrictive convents and other stuff out
    Please do let us know how you get on... I'd be interested to know how successful you are. Please also let us know who the agency and client is, so that we can try the same thing with them.

Wonder if there is anywhere to go on the web - which can give you an overview of UK contract Law in a nutshell - such as your post (didn't know about the expiry of terms at the contract end). An understanding of the basic principles which helps differentiate the agency fluff that is in the contract to just test you.
    www.ukweblaw.org.uk?

Maybe you can provide some quick thoughts on other basic terms:

* Restrictive convents - such as terms which prevent contractors working with the same client or associate companies for a 1 year/6months (other than through them)? - or terms on the Clientco contract which prevent the hiring of temp staff unless payments are made. Enforceable?
    Yes it is enforceable. If you work for the client, or the clients client, or the clients clients client, then you can be sued to the end of time. Try it and see what the agent does to ya.

* Terms which state that the agency can terminate their contract with you - if Clientco dumps them - suppose this is reasonable?
    Very unreasonable. Sue the agency till the end of time.

* Terms which state that contractor is in Breech if he/she tells anyone their contract rate

.. or any other classics or agency contract gems - which are just not worth the paper they are printed on.
    Sue the agency for unreasonable behaviour. They deserve to be sued. Oh, please let us know who the agent is.... so we can sue them too.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Are Shanti & RC the same person?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X