• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: big time dillema

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "big time dillema"

Collapse

• speedo
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Wise move I reckon, in the present climate.
    only time will tell....at least i know i am in a contract until Oct 2009

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Wise move I reckon, in the present climate.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Had similar myself - client A told me the contract was closed after interview. I took contract with B. 2 weeks into new contract A comes back with +100 per day over A with the agency pushing me to jump. But I stayed. End of the day I didn't like the way A messed me about, figured if they were going to start out like that it was a bad sign.

Leave a comment:

• speedo
    replied
    I have decided to give the private job a miss (LTSB) and stay in my current contract. Only time will tell if i have made the correct decision, the item that swayed it was the structural changes that are occuring at LTSB - the last thing i would want is walk into a 6 month but then be told after a month your not needed due to a re-structure. It was hard enough getting my current contract...

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    If clients are important you'll not jump.

I operate in a niche market and because of that I've never broken a contract, I've chosen not to extend plenty of times for sure, but that's different.

Leave a comment:

• speedo
    replied
    i have asked to speak with the client once again to firm up my exact role, projects etc... will be meeting them next week, that is the only way i can make a comparison to my current role... more time to think about it over the weekend!

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I think in the present climate, that is a sensible approach.

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Stay where you are. It sounds like your PS job is ideal - close to home and remote working. Just tell the pimp that what you heard in the interview in terms of the new role really wasn't what you wanted. If you are offered a role you don't have to take it!
    Not in a public sector at the moment, just outside the banking/finance sectors - my background is banking, so this is the first time for a long time I work outside banking, also this role is a lot lower level than am used to, I used to work at a very high management level and now am doing low level stuff, but who cares, its good for me to alternate high/low level work. Anyway, today I woke up at 8, took my time to get ready and made it to work around 9 am, some days I just walk in around 10 am, no one bothers, working hours are flexible and they don't care what time people are in or out, as long as you do the job they are happy, so am going to count my blessings and stick to this role.... now how do I get out of going to the interview?

Leave a comment:

• speedo
    replied
    still undecided... the private gig is a shorter travelling distance and it is paying more, although its in the banking sector (might be volitile)

By the way i have a 4 week notice period - if i decide to take the private gig i would have been at the public gig for 3 months.

Only a few hours before i get the call from the agent!

Leave a comment:

• speedo
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    Could you sub into the public sector gig?
    What do you mean?

Leave a comment:

• speedo
    replied
    Originally posted by lexington_spurs View Post
    typo?
    just wanted to distinguish the roles rather than saying the client names!

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Could you sub into the public sector gig?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Stay where you are. It sounds like your PS job is ideal - close to home and remote working. Just tell the pimp that what you heard in the interview in terms of the new role really wasn't what you wanted. If you are offered a role you don't have to take it!

Leave a comment:

• lexington_spurs
    replied
    Originally posted by speedo View Post
    working
    Originally posted by speedo View Post
    public sector..
    typo?

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
    Unfortunately I have put myself into a similar situation, I have an interview with major bank in the city on Monday, agent nagged me to apply for a role - paying £100 a day extra, even though he knew I am not available. I've been in my present contract for over a year, was told I am to be extended until new year. My present contract pays less, but its 15 minutes away from home, work is flexible, remote access if I wanted to work from home etc, on top it all, I have become quite close friends with the program manager. I can't deny a £100 extra a day is really tempting, but is it worth having to commute to central London, deal with assholes in the city?
    Why not ask the PM at your current gig to split the difference - worth a punt, surely?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X