• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Outsourcing - Large scottish bank"

Collapse

• the_duderama
    replied
    That looks like the investment arm - I suspect the above job losses are in retail.

I'm just happy that i work on a gov project that requires SC clearance otherwise i would have been on/offshored by now.

It's anoying that senior management are so short sighted, I've seen many and instance where upfront the savings are clear, but once the offshoring been done the actual costs escalate exponentially.

We have a documentation system here developed by a college in his spare time, took him around 6 months, that he developed because the offshored one took 7 programmers to complete, a year late, and was still unuasable.

Leave a comment:

• s2budd
    replied
    A well known Scottish bank is recruiting:

here
    http://www.jobserve.com/W66B5295563DB3319.jsjob

here:
    http://www.jobserve.com/WA46875B091DAEC8A.jsjob

and here:
    http://www.jobserve.com/W2229D4148BD1C1EE.jsjob

Leave a comment:

• aceboy
    replied
    They are still recruiting locally in Global Banking & Markets (GBM). A portion of this has already been off shored, however some of the skill sets are difficult to train off shore....

Leave a comment:

• Aloha1
    replied
    therell be more offshore job losses

Labour are in awe of these global corporations,while the Tories are in bed with them.

None of the parties will do anything about the 50,000 Indian Nationals working in the UK Taking EU Jobs.

The big IT Consultancies think the Visa rules are a joke- they advertise the roles on jobsites,interview no-one,then claim to the UK Govt that they need to bring an indian worker on shore (the intra group transfer).

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    Originally posted by Underscore Pt2 View Post
    It hasn't "been that way for a few months"....the instruction only came down to Managers last week....ie final extensions for all, and off-shore in future unless a specific PM skill-set that can't be found in India (although i'd have thought speaking english, and being on site might have been a wee bit more important).

Either way it will be a disaster, and in 6 months time they'll go back to "traditonal" methods.
    I'm not going to argue with you mate but I've known about this since at least March and I'm neither a manager or in GT.

Leave a comment:

• Underscore Pt2
    replied
    It hasn't "been that way for a few months"....the instruction only came down to Managers last week....ie final extensions for all, and off-shore in future unless a specific PM skill-set that can't be found in India (although i'd have thought speaking english, and being on site might have been a wee bit more important).

Either way it will be a disaster, and in 6 months time they'll go back to "traditonal" methods.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

I bet loads of plans to offshore / onshore are being brought forward in case the government falls and the next one might do something about it.

I don't think they will though.
    But....but....but....Gordon told us that IT is very important and will help the country get through the recession. Uncle Gordo wouldn't lie to us would he??

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    Instead of just moaning about it on here how about emailing someone at the Daily Telegraph or BBC or whatever and letting them know and get it out there in the media - the story would go down a storm in the current climate, seriously.

Leave a comment:

• lightfoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Torran View Post
    this is correct but only within GT. Been that way for a few months now and on the cards for at least 2 years.

Manufacturing is bigger than GT however so your original statement and your repeated one that all contracts within Manufacturing will be offshored is incorrect. Hope this helps.
    You are correct but a bit pedantic as I did say all IT contracts within GT Manufacturing are to be offshored and since GT is basically the IT area as I understand it most IT contractors will go in GT Manufacturing. Although I am sure you will INCORRECT me..

Still it is in effect the government as the major shareholder is offshoring jobs which I would have thought is a bit politically sensitive if they are aware.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Suprised with such a large government stake they are allowed to offshore?

I bet loads of plans to offshore / onshore are being brought forward in case the government falls and the next one might do something about it.

I don't think they will though.

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    Originally posted by lightfoot View Post
    I have been informed that all IT contractors in Group Manufacturing are to be offshored if possible .. I suppose there might be a few skill sets that can't be offshored but the general direction is to offshore all UK contract position in Group Manufacturing .. Please enlighten if you know something different ?
    this is correct but only within GT. Been that way for a few months now and on the cards for at least 2 years.

Manufacturing is bigger than GT however so your original statement and your repeated one that all contracts within Manufacturing will be offshored is incorrect. Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Suprised with such a large government stake they are allowed to offshore?

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    BT
    Friends Provident
    RBS
    ...and many many others

All outsourcing their IT work to India. It looks like becoming a bit of a rout, and if it continues it will be the death of IT in the UK, perm and contract.

Leave a comment:

• lightfoot
    replied
    Incorrect correction

Originally posted by Torran View Post
    sorry that should be incorrect on this point. Get your facts straight guys
    I have been informed that all IT contractors in Group Manufacturing are to be offshored if possible .. I suppose there might be a few skill sets that can't be offshored but the general direction is to offshore all UK contract position in Group Manufacturing .. Please enlighten if you know something different ?

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    Originally posted by lightfoot View Post
    Yep all contract roles at RBS are to be offshored all UK contractors to be terminated in Group Manufacturing
    sorry that should be incorrect on this point. Get your facts straight guys

Leave a comment:

Working...
X