• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "When do you stop looking"

Collapse

• Grinder
    replied
    Keep looking actively right up until your bum is in the seat, and proactively keep in touch with your favourite pimp/s throughout the contract because if they know you are in contract they will know you are worthy of their attention.

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    I tend to agree with the "always looking" group.
    I'm never completely assured that my contract is secure, although when I'm very busy in a contract I probably only check the job sites once per week and don't actively apply.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Continue actively looking until you sign a contract.

Between a verbal offer and signing a bit of paper there isn't usually more than a day, simply because they want you to commit. If not it isn't really a cert.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Generally stop looking about week after the contract starts, as by then I should know for sure if contract will last, and more importantly if I will last in the contract without going "postal"

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    These days I check my job emails/rss feeds every day, whether in contract or not.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    I have not yet been shafted, kept hanging on for weeks while the client buggers about, only to be told the budget isn't approved / the project is cancelled / they filled it internally / it all went quiet

I was kept hanging on from early December '07 to mid January '08 by a consultancy for a job that they never had approval for.

You don't let that happen twice.
    WHS+ it's better to shaft than be shafted

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    I guess seeing as Im not an insecure person, I stop looking when I've been told I've got the role.
    I have not yet been shafted, kept hanging on for weeks while the client buggers about, only to be told the budget isn't approved / the project is cancelled / they filled it internally / it all went quiet

I was kept hanging on from early December '07 to mid January '08 by a consultancy for a job that they never had approval for.

You don't let that happen twice.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    I guess seeing as Im not an insecure person, I stop looking when I've been told I've got the role. If it falls through, I'll start looking again.

Once Im in a role, I start looking again coming up to renewal time unless the client gives me an early indication they want me to stay.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I'm always looking.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    When do you stop looking for new gigs?
    The day I start the new contract.

I do find it hard to find the motivation to keep looking once I have had an interview offer.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    You can't be 100% sure that the contract is going to start until you are through the client's door on the first day.

I am sure we all know someone who has been told by the agent on the day a contract is supposed to start "Sorry mate, the job's gone!"

I would not stop looking before you get to that point, at the least.
    Last edited by Gonzo; 14 May 2009, 02:07.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    These days I check my job emails/rss feeds every day, whether in contract or not.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    WTS - and then I start looking again.

Leave a comment:

• spoons
    replied
    Originally posted by denver2k View Post
    I'd carry on looking until i'll have my first day at clientCo. Then i'll analyse the situation (in first week) and that would give me some idea about how long it may last....

There have been some incidents where people have been told on the day (when they supose to start) that role is no longer available or business needs have changed...something like that...always keep on your toes....
    Agreed, I am always looking to a point. Just depends on how proactively

Leave a comment:

• denver2k
    replied
    I'd carry on looking until i'll have my first day at clientCo. Then i'll analyse the situation (in first week) and that would give me some idea about how long it may last....

There have been some incidents where people have been told on the day (when they supose to start) that role is no longer available or business needs have changed...something like that...always keep on your toes....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X