• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Substitution

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Substitution"

Collapse

• XLMonkey
    replied
    I've done it. Its easy, provided that the client understood from the outset that the contract is to deliver an effect (i.e. a delivered project or service), rather than a warm body.

However, if you started out with a client thinking that this was all about warm bodies, then you're probably wasting your time.

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    IMHO it would depend on the person being substituted. For me, If I had a desire to call on a substitute, I can look to my Ltd's other employee who is far better qualified (for the sme role) as I am, so could probably demand a higher rate on the market than I but is currently benched. Hopefully this would mean that the client would be happy woth the sub, after all, they are getting a better resource for less than they are worth.

NN

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Hence, why HMRC are pushing very hard (Dragonfly etc..) to show that substitution is a sham.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    you recomending a replacement is not substitution (in the IR35 sense)

A substitution, is: your Limited company continues to bill the client and pays the person who you send in as the sub.

I imagine that this happens infrequently (in IT)

tim

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    Originally posted by kookachoo View Post
    Has anyone actually ever executed the substitution clause of their contract? I'm seriously considering jumping ship on my current gig and know someone who would be more suited to the role, or maybe one of you lot on the bench might be up for it.. but wondered in reality, how often this happens.
    Based on my past contracts I thought this meant that the client/agency could substitute someone for me and not that I could substitute someone for me. I would substitute an off-shore worker for £50 day and pocket the difference.

Leave a comment:

• GardenGirl
    replied
    Don't think the agency of the Clientco would be very happy but its worth a try if your that unhappy.

Leave a comment:

• kookachoo
    started a topic Substitution

Substitution

Has anyone actually ever executed the substitution clause of their contract? I'm seriously considering jumping ship on my current gig and know someone who would be more suited to the role, or maybe one of you lot on the bench might be up for it.. but wondered in reality, how often this happens.

Working...
X