• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Deposit Wrangles

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Deposit Wrangles"

Collapse

• Beefy198
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    Consumer Direct may be able to assist. A friend of mine had a good experience with them...
    I used them when I was querying something Virgin Media were doing - they were very helpful to me too

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Like I said, a manufacturer \ dealer can increase the price. Most dealers (when times are good) will agree to withold a price rise in certain circumstances but, they aren't obliged to do so.

If you think that declaration will help you all I can say is good luck. Unless you're getting a free half hour with a lawyer, you'll spend more than the intended price rise trying to get the issue resolved.
    Well you may need to revise your thoughts.

Spoke to a lawyer yesterday (who is free as I went to Uni with him). They can send an increased price. No signature from me = its worthless.

Even if the T&Cs have a clause saying they can increase the price that is also worthless and unenforcable as unfair.

So letters sent, small claims court looming.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Consumer Direct may be able to assist. A friend of mine had a good experience with them...

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
    I'm failing to see the problem here? Am I the only one that can read these T&Cs?

The price stated on the purchase order is no longer the price they are asking for. Therefore they are in breach of the agreement and you should get your deposit back.
    And as I said, they can send you a new PO if they like, but if it doesn't have your signature on it, it doesn't have your agreement.

Leave a comment:

• Beefy198
    replied
    I'm failing to see the problem here? Am I the only one that can read these T&Cs?
    I the undersigned agree to purchase from the company above, the above vehicle at the price stated
    The price stated on the purchase order is no longer the price they are asking for. Therefore they are in breach of the agreement and you should get your deposit back.

edit: realised expat also agreed.... but clearly can't see what BolshieBastard's issue is....

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    What T&Cs?

I have a purchase order that says

"Customer Decleration:
    I the undersigned agree to purchase from the company above, the above vehicle at the price stated & certify
    before I sign this deceleration that my attention have been drawn to the age and condition of the vehicle.
    I confirm that I have examined the vehicle before signing so as to satisfy myself of its quality. I also accept
    the recorded mileage on the odometer cannot be relied as a indicating of the actual age of the vehicle.
    Deposits on cancelled orders are non refundable"

They sent me a new purchase order with an increased price....

Ideas. Seeing a lawyer tomorrow.

Like I said, a manufacturer \ dealer can increase the price. Most dealers (when times are good) will agree to withold a price rise in certain circumstances but, they aren't obliged to do so.

If you think that declaration will help you all I can say is good luck. Unless you're getting a free half hour with a lawyer, you'll spend more than the intended price rise trying to get the issue resolved.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Completly forgot I posted this thread...
    It's probably best not to post when drunk.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    What T&Cs?

"Customer Decleration:
    I the undersigned agree to purchase from the company above, the above vehicle at the price stated & certify
    before I sign this deceleration that my attention have been drawn to the age and condition of the vehicle.
    I confirm that I have examined the vehicle before signing so as to satisfy myself of its quality. I also accept
    the recorded mileage on the odometer cannot be relied as a indicating of the actual age of the vehicle.

Oh yeah? With "I the undersigned agree" etc on it? Without that and your signature, it is bogroll.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Was going for a 1200GSA ended up picking up a 1150GSA instead.

Not after any bike kit, just for them to do the honourable thing

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    What bike you gettin'? Try asking for some kit instead as a goodwill gesture.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    A manufacturer can increase the price of a vehicle \ bike even though another lower price has been agreed especially where force maejer applies ie a big fall in exchange rate for example.

Its in the T&C's you sign when you hand over a deposit.

The deposit may or may not be refundable, again, the circumstances they can keep your deposit will be in the T&C's.

Its a fallacy to think manufacturer \ dealer cannot pass on a price rise or that they must hand back a deposit on a cancelled order.

If you havent signed anything, I think you're stuffed over the price rise and getting your deposit back unless the dealer is really, really nice to you. And I wouldnt be certain of that in this climate.
    What T&Cs?

"Customer Decleration:

Leave a comment:

• Beefy198
    replied
    A manufacturer can increase the price of a vehicle \ bike even though another lower price has been agreed especially where force maejer applies ie a big fall in exchange rate for example.

The deposit may or may not be refundable, again, the circumstances they can keep your deposit will be in the T&C's.

Its a fallacy to think manufacturer \ dealer cannot pass on a price rise or that they must hand back a deposit on a cancelled order.

If you havent signed anything, I think you're stuffed over the price rise and getting your deposit back unless the dealer is really, really nice to you. And I wouldnt be certain of that in this climate.
    I can understand why they can change the quote, but surely your agreement is based on the original quote. If they amend it you should have the right to walk away and get a refund of any money paid. Otherwise, theoretically, they could suddenly up the prices by £10,000!

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    a) surely the price rise does not apply to you?

b) why did you cancel the order?

c) do you still want the bike (at the original price)?
    Completly forgot I posted this thread.

a) dealership says it does

b) becuase they wouldn't supply at the original price

c) No. Sorted one else where after getting treated like tulip by these

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Beefy198
    replied
    I can't see how they could raise it if they had it in writing.

You could try asking somewhere like here, they seem to offer such advice

Leave a comment:

Working...
X