• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "strange interview style"

Collapse

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I once rang in to one of these 0870 conference 'so called' interviews. After wasting an hour on the call, I hung up only to discover I had missed three calls, two from the bank, one from my wife.
    The bank wanted to know why I was transferring all my money to a Nigerian account, but said as I was not available, they had authorised it anyway. My wife said she had discovered that I was ringing dodgy numbers so was divorcing me to run away with some guy who works in recruitment or something and that the CSA would be in touch tomorrow.

I didn't get the job.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I once rang in to one of these 0870 conference 'so called' interviews. After wasting an hour on the call, I hung up only to discover I had missed three calls, two from the bank, one from my wife.
    The bank wanted to know why I was transferring all my money to a Nigerian account, but said as I was not available, they had authorised it anyway. My wife said she had discovered that I was ringing dodgy numbers so was divorcing me to run away with some guy who works in recruitment or something and that the CSA would be in touch tomorrow.

I didn't get the job.

Thanks for transferring the money to my Nigerian account. Much appreciated. Did you want a receipt?

How's the divorce going?

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    You'll find "sarcasm" inbetween saccharine and sardonic, if that helps. Perhaps you'll spot it next time.
    mmmmmm saccharine.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied

I didn't get the job.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Money reclaimed: ~10p
    Time taken: ~10min
    Do you really value your time at ~£1/hour?
    60p/hour

unless time has gone decimal whilst I wasn't looking

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    You'll find "sarcasm" inbetween saccharine and sardonic, if that helps. Perhaps you'll spot it next time.

Leave a comment:

• beoptima
    replied
    interview for 1 hr

The interview is supposed to go on for 1 hr or may be more in the words of the agent..so let me see

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Also: print off the phone bill, highlight that call and claim back the VAT. That'll ease the pain.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    If you can afford to risk 75p on a £500 pd contract that runs for 2 yrs, then go ahead, take that chance!
    Also: print off the phone bill, highlight that call and claim back the VAT. That'll ease the pain.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Wouldn't be concerned.

As for the cost, well it's cheaper than driving there, right?
    An 0870 number costs 7.51p per minute from a landline so be aware that spending 10 minutes will cost you 75p!

If you can afford to risk 75p on a £500 pd contract that runs for 2 yrs, then go ahead, take that chance!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Wouldn't be concerned.

As for the cost, well it's cheaper than driving there, right?

Leave a comment:

• ferret
    replied
    Yeah, common for conference calls to be on an 0870 number. They need you to dial in as they cannot call you as the conference call services are usually hosted by a third party provider. If you come across as paranoid as this in the interview there is not much hope for you

Agencies getting contractors to call an 0870 number for 15 minutes is not going to make them money worth thinking about so cannot imagine it is a scam of any sort.

Leave a comment:

• deckster
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    A clientco I worked for had an 0870 conf call number, they are not that uncommon.
    Yep not at all unusual. The 0800s aren't much use either as I'm always dialling in from my mobile

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I would check that this isn't an Agency "screening" interview rather than an actual interview with a client.

All of the clients that I've worked for that used conference call facilities and remote staff have had 0800 numbers on their teleconf setups, as such this interview sounds distinctly dodgy to me.
    A clientco I worked for had an 0870 conf call number, they are not that uncommon.

Leave a comment:

• beoptima
    replied
    interview

friends
    I tried searching google and it doesn't say anything about this number.Also tried finding an alternative on saynoto0870 website but no success as well.This puts doubt in my ind and when I asked the agent he tells me that these calls are common..so I'm not sure..thanks for all the replies anyway..anymore info is most welcome

Leave a comment:

Working...
X