• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Advice Needed please"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    If it was all about the money, given the choice between 45k permie and £330/day contract in London, I'd stay permie.

Make sure when you do your sums, you factor in NI and all the taxes you will pay, plus accountancy fees, insurance costs etc.

Unless, you aren't doing this for the money and just want a better / different job - in which case, sums are irrelevant, it's whether you want to leave HBOS, and whether you want to do the job at TfL.

Not knowing what your skills are, it's difficult to know whether £330/day is good, bad or indifferent. You may be better off looking for a better paid contract, or this could be the best rate that you'll ever get for a contract for your skills, so if you want to contract then take it.

Finally, in terms of your notice period, it's not worth the paper it's written on. Offer to help out / make sure all your work is done / handover is clear / offer to help your replacement with a few calls after you leave - or walk out the door, and say f*** 'em. If you are a decent enough contractor, you'll never need them again (unless people you annoy move on to other companies and they end up interviewing you at some stage in the future, as has happened to me before).

Whatever you decide, the best of luck with it.

Leave a comment:

• beemarman
    replied
    Originally posted by Liability View Post
    Are you able to speak with your HR on this issue?

Do you know how strict they are on notice period?

Do you have any senior managers you can speak with?

With the current state of HBOS Id be surprised if they make an issue unless you are senior or key to the business or your area.
    Do you know how strict they are on notice period? don't know but will soon find out

Do you have any senior managers you can speak with? Am currently trying to gather the courage to go and talk to him. I really believe it's not in their best intrest to keep a staff that wants to go somewhere else (expercially as i work in the IT dept.)but i dont't want to upset anyone him as he has been ok to me in the past 3 months.

Leave a comment:

• Unicorn
    replied
    Competitor

Mr B,

Couple of options - 1. Tell them you're off to a competitor, increases the chances of being walked to the door, hand your pass in and being told to tend your garden for the period. Technically you do have to be available to come in to work but I'm sure your mobile could break.

Ratewhore - the accrued holiday CAN be used if it is agreed. The employer has to agree to the holiday request.

Option 2 - Request the final 2 weeks as holiday (whether it is accrued or not) and as soon as it is agreed hand in your resignation. If you don't have accrued holiday your final salary will be adjusted to reflect this.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Another Dodgy Agent
    replied
    Go for it!

Whatever the outcome with HBOS is, either merge with Lloyds, become state owned or just go under (can't see that happening as they are lending like mad at the mo, just given me a £15K cc the fools!!), your job is potentially in a risky position (given current climate) and having only worked for HBOS for 3 months you would not even see a tasty redundancy package. I would suggest in this particularly unique case on bailing out and going over to TfL. Much safer, potentially more money if you get the right accountant on your side and will keep you out of the financial services hot seat until we come out of the other side of this downturn in the economic cycle.

So, having decided to go for the contract gig you will then need to do the following in order:

If you are through an agent for TfL, see if they can negotiate a start date in four weeks time - if not why not? Understanding the reason for no scope for compromise may allow you to decide whether to keep going or not in your move from one company to another. If you went direct, phone the manager up, say you are keen to come on board but cannot break your notice, is there any scope for you to start in four weeks?

Once (and only once) things are agreed with Agent/TfL and you have somthing in writing from Agent/TfL (even if its just an email confirming start date and rate and any notice period), then give notice at HBOS. Whilst giving notice, see if you can negotiate your notice period down to two weeks. Explain its nothing personal but you have an opportunity to further your career with a similar large organisation etc. and need to prioritise your own personal future growth.

Change any of the above order as a process and you will face risk of exposure/no job.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Isn't it true that not only are you not always forced to work your notice period, but often not allowed to?

Leave a comment:

• Manic
    replied
    I'm at TfL

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Any accrued holiday can be used against your notice...

Leave a comment:

• beemarman
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl View Post
    Make a decision.

Hmmmmmmm, i think i will go for it

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    £330 a day in London isn't a stellar rate, but I've no idea what your skillset is so it might be pretty good.
    A 12 month gig for a first contract at a stable organisation is decent especially in the context of you being a permie who won't qualify for a redundancy payoff.

I don't normally condone bailing on notice periods but since you're still in the probationary period (HBOS used to be 6 months) I doubt they will make a fuss if you ask for 2 weeks notice. There's nothing to stop you calling in sick with "stress" for the last 2 weeks if they play silly buggers and insist you stay for the whole 4 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by beemarman View Post
    Hi,

Please some advice needed. I have been working for HBOS as a perm staff for the last 3 months. The job is ok, but a bit boring and I can probably do it with my eyes closed. I get paid £45k per year for the perm job.

I have been offered a contract role to work for Transport for London, the rate is £330 per day and it’s for 1 year.

I am a bit worried about the state of the current economy climate. I know my current perm job is not secure with the way HBOS is going but still feel if things get back at HBOS it will take a minimum of 1 year before they start laying people off.

Another problem is the new role wants me to start in 2 weeks but my notice period with HBOS is 1 month. I might see if they would let me go in 2 weeks but not sure they would agree. what right do i have if they refuse to let me go?

what should i do

Are you able to speak with your HR on this issue?

Do you know how strict they are on notice period?

Do you have any senior managers you can speak with?

With the current state of HBOS Id be surprised if they make an issue unless you are senior or key to the business or your area.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Originally posted by beemarman View Post
    Hi,

Please some advice needed. I have been working for HBOS as a perm staff for the last 3 months. The job is ok, but a bit boring and I can probably do it with my eyes closed. I get paid £45k per year for the perm job.

I have been offered a contract role to work for Transport for London, the rate is £330 per day and it’s for 1 year.

I am a bit worried about the state of the current economy climate. I know my current perm job is not secure with the way HBOS is going but still feel if things get back at HBOS it will take a minimum of 1 year before they start laying people off.

Another problem is the new role wants me to start in 2 weeks but my notice period with HBOS is 1 month. I might see if they would let me go in 2 weeks but not sure they would agree. what right do i have if they refuse to let me go?

what should i do
    Make a decision.

Leave a comment:

• beemarman
    started a topic Advice Needed please

Advice Needed please

Hi,

what should i do

Working...
X