• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Agency Contract

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agency Contract"

Collapse

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by sharmas View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Since it is for quite a big organisation I may take a punt and go in on day 1 and make the position clear to the chap I am working for.
    Bit of a mare really as contracts arent offering themselves up as frequently as they used to.

Very much doubt you'll get further than reception if you do. You can bet if you havent received a contract from the agent its because the client hasnt signed one with the agent.

Personally, I'd NEVER start work at client co without my signed copy of a contract.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by abc View Post
    Question 1 is - Without a formal contract would you start? NEVER!
    Well, Never say Never :-(

I can think of circumstances where I might start without the contract but it would have to be a situation where I was prepared to walk out if an acceptable one didn't arrive PDQ

tim

Leave a comment:

• abc
    replied
    Hi All,

Good board should have discovered it before because it has answered a few questions.

A week ago I attended an interview and on Monday this week had a confirmation from the agency that I had got the job.
    Listed in their E-mail was the rate/duration/manager/etc.
    They also stated that they would send a formal contract on receipt of a PO from the client.
    The contract starts on the 22/9 and as yet no formal contract has arrived.
    Phoned the agency and they said they are chasing.
    Question 1 is - Without a formal contract would you start?
    Question 2 is - Is this contract enforcable as I turned down another offer to take this one due to location?

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks
    Question 1 is - Without a formal contract would you start? NEVER!
    Question 2 is - Well from what you said there is no contract yet. But if you start, you are essentially accepting whatever they subsequently choose to throw at you. Not a good idea!

Bear in mind that there are two contracts; the one between you/agency and the agency/client one.

Because of this, if the agency was confident of the PO arriving, they should be able to give u a draft contract at least, showing important details such as the rate and duration. The fact that they have not done this should give you pause for thought for several reasons.

Bear in mind that what the agency is telling you is going on and what is actually going on behind the scenes could be quite different things!

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Does the law clearly state that you have accepted their terms and conditions, but they haven't accepted yours?
    No. A contract is a mutual thing. Whatever was last agreed before acceptance is what you both work to. Turning up and getting paid indicates acceptance, regardless of where you are with the negotiations. Of course, you can continue to haggle details and mutually agree a later set of Ts&Cs, but your position will have been fatally weakened if the other side don't agree.

It works the other way of course. I had submitted a minor but necessary amendment about something (payment terms, ISTR) in an email the week before a new gig and heard no more. At the other end of the day, my version prevailed...

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    The law states clearly that . It's up to you to make sure you know what they are and challnge them if necessary
    Does the law clearly state that you have accepted their terms and conditions, but they haven't accepted yours?

Leave a comment:

• sharmas
    replied
    Thanks for the replies.

Since it is for quite a big organisation I may take a punt and go in on day 1 and make the position clear to the chap I am working for.
    Bit of a mare really as contracts arent offering themselves up as frequently as they used to.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Given what has been said here if you turn up on the relevant date you should be paid the amount specified in the e-mail. If at that point the whole thing falls through you should also be paid your notice period by the agency - however if that is not in the e-mail you got.

However if you are planning to operate outside of IR35 you may end up scuppered if when the contract does arrive it does not satisfy (the increasingly vague) requirements to be outside of IR35.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    Some people believe if you start the gig you have accepted the t's and c's in the contract. ...
    The law states clearly that . It's up to you to make sure you know what they are and challnge them if necessary

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    don't do it until the paperwork arrives.

Leave a comment:

• donny
    replied
    Question 2 is - Is this contract enforcable as I turned down another offer to take this one due to location?
    1 - NEVER. I never work without a signed contract.

2 - Strictly speaking, you have an agreement to work if you have verbally accepted the contract. However, in the absence of any signed paperwork, it's VERY hard to prove you had a contract.

I usually say that I will accept the role, subject to a signed, agreed contract - until that point, I'm still looking at other roles. It helps to focus the mind and get the paperwork sorted quickly.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Some people believe if you start the gig you have accepted the t's and c's in the contract. Given this, if you haven't seen a contract you're accepting things you have no knowledge of.

Specific answers to your questions:

1 - Definitely not (IMHO)
    2 - You don't yet have a contract so whether it is enforceable or not is a moot point.

I suggest you keep looking until you have signed something...

Leave a comment:

• sharmas
    started a topic Agency Contract

Agency Contract

Hi All,

Good board should have discovered it before because it has answered a few questions.

A week ago I attended an interview and on Monday this week had a confirmation from the agency that I had got the job.
    Listed in their E-mail was the rate/duration/manager/etc.
    They also stated that they would send a formal contract on receipt of a PO from the client.
    The contract starts on the 22/9 and as yet no formal contract has arrived.
    Phoned the agency and they said they are chasing.

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

Working...
X