• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Does anybody contract for BAE Systems here?"

Collapse

• TykeMerc
    replied
    The reason I asked is because Samlesbury is often termed part of the Warton Unit and they're quite a long way apart.

Best of luck there, it can be an interesting place especially if you're a bit of an aircraft anorak.

Leave a comment:

• HermanDune
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Are you definitely working at Warton and not Samlesbury? There are quite a lot of Typhoon people at Samlesbury and the 2 sites are 25 miles apart.
    Hi, it's Warton. I'm involved with Rapid Engineering which focuses on harder, faster, cheaper using Agile methodologies.

Leave a comment:

• HermanDune
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    can I ask what sort of money this type of gig pays?

thanks

tim
    Hi Tim,

I have noticed project controller jobs paying anything between £13 and £30 per hour. The better paid ones usually want scheduling experience and knowledge of Primavera.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Entirely depends on the type of work you do, as a PM they paid a decent rate.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    can I ask what sort of money this type of gig pays?

thanks

tim

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    I had some mates who worked there a few years ago - I was working in Lytham at the time and we used to go round doing pub quizzes to relieve the boredom.

Get a 6 month rental - much cheaper than the hotels. Can recommend Levers in Lytham.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Are you definitely working at Warton and not Samlesbury? There are quite a lot of Typhoon people at Samlesbury and the 2 sites are 25 miles apart.

BAE Systems is an interesting company to work for, the main thing you will have to get used to is the habit of large parts of the company to stall endlessly. Getting things done can be incredibly frustrating at times. It's a classic example of how easy it is to say no when it takes any effort to say yes.

Much/most of the IT services are conducted by CSC.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Forget. Yeh ok canteen, just a long walk.

Leave a comment:

• HermanDune
    replied
    I visited BAE Warton once or twice when I worked at CSC and I remember there was a fairly good subsidised canteen.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Did 6 months there back in about 2001. Only probs, huge site and you spend unpaid ages walking from car park and then to/from canteen cos the mean buggers closed the bus service. Work was allright for boring aircraft and ok bunch, apart from that fat bloke wasisname. If you see him tell him to piss off.
    Chris?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Did 6 months there back in about 2001. Only probs, huge site and you spend unpaid ages walking from car park and then to/from canteen cos the mean buggers closed the bus service. Work was allright for boring aircraft and ok bunch, decent lunchtime pubbing. Apart from that fat bloke wasisname. If you see him tell him to piss off.

If you are there over winter, hotels in Blackpool are really cheap but not much to do except play "House of the dead" in the arcades.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 3 August 2008, 21:25.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    It gets noisy when the sun comes out...

Leave a comment:

• HermanDune
    started a topic Does anybody contract for BAE Systems here?

Does anybody contract for BAE Systems here?

I am starting tomorrow at Warton on the Typhoon programme and keen to hear from any project/IT staff already working there, as to what it's like.

Working...
X