• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "jump from one agency to another"

Collapse

• 17clarence
    replied
    So, now I have got the hard facts.
    I am an employee of the Agency, as such they pay out of their 25% another 10% in stoppages to swiss tax and liabilities etc. So they do get 15 to 16% at the end.
    I will see if they will come down a few percent, but as my manager is not the type to make waves I doubt I'd get any support from him.
    Looking at the big picture though, I do get 80% sick pay if I provide doctors certificate. This lasts the length of the contract, just like a permie. So a kind of insurance really.
    On the plus side, I cycle to work from home as I live in the same town anyway, and am paid by the hour rather than a daily rate and there is no overtime restrictions. I reckon I could leave and get another CHF100 a day somewhere else, but that means travel, expense and inconvienience, so I'll stay and take the easy option and sleep in my own bed at night (after my hours overtime!).
    Thanks for the responses, all information is good.

Leave a comment:

• ThePhoon
    replied
    Way to high!

As a Ltd Co your agency is making pure profit on your invoice, 25% is extortionate. I would tell them you will leave the post if they do not reduce their fee, the agent will be forced to do this as the client clearly likes you and will not want a new face to complete the extension on your project.

Leave a comment:

• 17clarence
    replied
    Yes, I am an employee of the agency. But come the end of the month I am no longer an employee of the agency. Then I am unemployed (and without permit (L)). In June, all being well, I start again with new contract (new project) but same customer.
    So the issue is any 12 month conditions that apply.
    Notallthere, sound advice. I am sure the other Agent will try to get their own man in if they know there is a position and can undercut the rate.
    But, it could be my pimp will reduce their comission anyway. This is money for nothing, they don't want to upset the customer, they want to do as little work as possible to keep the money coming in. I live in hope.....

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by 17clarence View Post
    ... I have found another prefered supplier to the customer, and am contacting them as they have people placed with the customer already. They will tell me the implications (honestly) I hope....
    Take impartial legal advice. Don't trust the other agency. A half-hour chat will cost you CHF200 and could save you a world of pain, potentially up to not being able to work here at all.

beercohol: he's an employee of the agency.

Leave a comment:

• 17clarence
    replied
    Named individual.

Leave a comment:

• beercohol
    replied
    The contract. Is it with you as a named individual or is it with your Swiss company?

Leave a comment:

• 17clarence
    replied
    Hello all, the contract is in english (the agent is Euorpean wide outfit). I have found another prefered supplier to the customer, and am contacting them as they have people placed with the customer already. They will tell me the implications (honestly) I hope.
    Of course, without my manager on board, I will have little chance of changing Agent anyway, and I will be left trying to negotiate the comission down on a contract I do not want to lose.
    All tips on negotiating with hard nosed Pimps much appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    I would suggest that the clause that you have quoted stops you working as a recruitment agent, not from working as a contractor.
    That's what I thought about the K2 clause. The advice I got before the point became moot was that it could be a valid restriction. Also, it depends whether the clause is on a translation of the contract, or the actual contract is in German. It's possible that the translation is simply bad, and that the binding contract is the one written in German.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by 17clarence View Post
    My contract has this clause: during the contract as well as one year thereafter the contractor will not compete with 'AGENT' in the field of recruitment consultancy for Swiss Customers.
    So, where do I stand? Can I legally go through another agency if my agent will not reduce his comission?
    I would suggest that the clause that you have quoted stops you working as a recruitment agent, not from working as a contractor.

There may be some other clause which has that effect, but I don't see that it is this one.

tim

Leave a comment:

• 17clarence
    replied
    no uk ltd company. I've been an 'employee' of the agent since oct 2006 when I started with the client. once contract expires with teh clinet and of april, I am un-employed as the employment contract with agent expires also.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I have a Swiss ltd co. Which I've used in the UK. I never used a UK ltd co in CH. I am a permanently resident in Switzerland.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    ( I'm a ltdco contractor, so didn't may too much attention to that ).
    Did you use your own uk ltd co in Switzerland? If so, how long were you there?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    25% is high for Switzerland. I've contracted through Modis, Hays and RMIT, and they are between 5 and 15% as preferred suppliers. I know someone who worked through K2 in Switzerland, and there was a clause as yours in his contract - effectively preventing him from working in Switzerland for anyone other than K2. But the assumption in Switzerland is that you are a grown up, capable of reading contracts and only agreeing ones that you agree with.

I do know that within the Swiss contracting community there have been issues regarding agency employees NOT being able to switch. ( I'm a ltdco contractor, so didn't may too much attention to that ).

Take local legal advice.
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 7 April 2008, 09:33.

Leave a comment:

• 17clarence
    started a topic jump from one agency to another

jump from one agency to another

hello all, my agent is taking 25% I have just discovered. I have been at the client site for 18 months. At the end of this month (April) my contract with client expires. They want me to start again in June for the next phase of the project. Next phase is 2 years. I am working in Switzerland as an employee of the agency. Come the break in contracts I am no longer an employee of the agency. 25% is not excessively high for switzerland.
    The client will not pay more as the budget is already submitted and my role has not changed, I have already asked. I want to use the opportunity of the contract break to get the agent to reduce the commision down to 15 or 20%. They will not want to do this. I want to 'threaten' them (if I have to)that I will go to another agent charging less comission if they won't budge. The client wants me specifically (though my skills are not unique). Both agent and client are large companies. The client has prefered suppliers and is happy to use any of them.
    My contract has this clause: during the contract as well as one year thereafter the contractor will not compete with 'AGENT' in the field of recruitment consultancy for Swiss Customers.
    So, where do I stand? Can I legally go through another agency if my agent will not reduce his comission?

Working...
X