• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Harvesting

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Harvesting"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    But usually I'm talking guff and the agent doesn't know that.
    What do you mean "usually"?

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    aha! I know who that is... I can confirm that Nicoll Curtin has a client that fits that description.
    Does the client have three letters in its name and is a bit Teutonic....?

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    You can be too sceptical on some occaisions. I discourage the "just updating our records " type calls by being a bit awkward and very non commital to the questions. Can be quite entertaining. But I will forward a CV if I'm asked to. I will never give names of staff at a client co nor will I give references until I have had at least one talk to a potential client. Anyone can get my CV from my company website anyway.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    aha! I know who that is.

I can confirm that Nicoll Curtin has a client that fits that description. Whether or not they have engaged NC formally for those PM positions I don't know. From my past experience I would tend to agree with you - it does sound a little pre-emptive. Most likely, the client wants to hire permanent people and the agency is trying to get their contractors in instead.

But nothing wrong with that - somebody's got to make the first move.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    I think Milan might know about harvesting potatoes.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Don't see the harm of them getting hold of the CV. Mine's publicly available on serveral of the boards. I do tend to follow up with a phone call after applying, but that's all. I then wait for them. I never consider a job to be real until a signed contract is produced.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    I usually play "guess the client with them". When you get it right the tone changes so you know its genuine.

I also usually ask industry specific questions to get a "yes thats it" out of them. But usually I'm talking guff and the agent doesn't know that.

If they agree with me then I know they are lying and forget about the role.

Leave a comment:

• smiff
    replied
    Originally posted by Tensai View Post
    but perhaps I'm being cynical
    Is there any other way to view/deal with pimps?

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    I tend to phone and ask more detailed questions. If I sense the agent doesn't know anything re the role I either ask them to phone me back with more details or move on.
    Great minds [sic] think alike. Did so yesterday afternoon, and the chap didn't have a specific list of roles, and even told me the name of the client.

My guess is that he has a sales meeting with them, and wanted to take along a load of "hot prospects" to dangle in front of them to close the deal... but perhaps I'm being cynical

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Tensai View Post
    Agents harvesting CV's isn't exactly rare (especially these days) but what rules of thumb do you lot employ to determine if an ad is genuine?

I've been looking at this one, and my spidey-senses are tingling.... it's quite juicy if real, but it's a bit light on detail which always worries me.
    I tend to phone and ask more detailed questions. If I sense the agent doesn't know anything re the role I either ask them to phone me back with more details or move on.

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    started a topic Harvesting

Harvesting

Agents harvesting CV's isn't exactly rare (especially these days) but what rules of thumb do you lot employ to determine if an ad is genuine?

I've been looking at this one, and my spidey-senses are tingling.... it's quite juicy if real, but it's a bit light on detail which always worries me.

Working...
X