• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Working in Sweden

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working in Sweden"

Collapse

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by dr4m
    Tax liability in Sweden depends on the length of your stay. Those consultants who spends less than 182 days in Sweden are considered non-tax residents.

I presume that during this time consultants are not placed on the Swedish payroll and in consequence taxes and social security are handled in different way.
    Yep. I've just come back after 5 and a half months and they are quite happy that I should pay my tax on this gig in the UK.

tim

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    yes.

my ex was swedish and she had had more english grammar lessons than i ever had.
    For me that wouldn't be hard. In 13 years of schooling I had precisely zero.
    English teaching consisted of reading books and doing tests and expecting the pupil to learn by osmosis. 20 years later, I now see that this was a crap way of learning, but at the time I knew no better.

tim

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    Are you saying a non-native speaker can understand/speak English better than a native English speaker.
    yes.

my ex was swedish and she had had more english grammar lessons than i ever had.

Leave a comment:

• Sisu
    replied
    "Not pay tax for the first 6 months"
    are you sure this is the same Sweden we are talking about...
    The one close to Russia but far from Japan

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Perhaps you should try reading a thread before you add to it.

tim

Leave a comment:

• LinuxHead
    replied
    Hi Guys and Girls,

I'm new to the boards so please be gentle

I am also looking at a six month contract in Sweden starting soon. The agent trying to hire me for the job as said that I wouldn't need to pay tax for the first 6 months (which I think I've seen mentioned elsewhere on here).

Does anyone have any recommendations for Umbrella companies for non-UK contracts?
    I've followed some of the links found by searching "Sweden" on this site, but not had much joy....

Any help much appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Originally posted by Sisu View Post
    I recommend ICA supermarket.

Better quality than anything in the UK.
    Guarenteed no British meat available either so you can relax

Also, they speak better English in Sweden than you and I ever will so I wouldn't worry so much.
    Are you saying a non-native speaker can understand/speak English better than a native English speaker.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Hej pa dig! PM me if you want to know more about living in Sweden. I lived in Stockholm for 4 years (1998-2002). Had its ups and downs.

Leave a comment:

• Sisu
    replied
    I recommend ICA supermarket.

Better quality than anything in the UK.
    Guarenteed no British meat available either so you can relax

Also, they speak better English in Sweden than you and I ever will so I wouldn't worry so much.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post

Why is food an issue? Do they not have supermarkets where you come from?
    Probably worried about not being able to read the labels.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    http://www.lus.lu.se/bopoolen/eng/index.php

Is in English, ignore the fact that it's a student board, it's open to everybody.

Finding a place to stay in May/June is by far the easiest time of the year as there are no student's looking then, you definately got the lucky break there.

You will almost certainly have to take on a "second hand" fixed term contract. Make sure that you sign up for a full year. If you need to break the contract at the six month point you will have no difficulty finding someone to replace you in October. However, if you sign up for six months and are looking again in October you will be last in the scrum behind 20,000 students.

I have (indirectly) answered the question about Tax already in this thread.

Why is food an issue? Do they not have supermarkets where you come from?

tim
    Last edited by tim123; 5 April 2008, 14:00.

Leave a comment:

• codemonkie
    replied
    So accomodation can be a problem by the sounds of it.

How about the tax bit then?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    You could try http://www.blocket.se/ but it's in Swedish.

Realistically your best bet is to do what a local would do: put a note up on the board where you're working.

As to the poster looking for accomodation in Lund, hmm, try Malmö.

Leave a comment:

• Sisu
    replied
    I used to live in Lund, the accomodation situation is a nightmare.
    and the place is full of student bars, which wont allow you entry as you're not a student.
    I hope you have something sorted beforehand..

During summer its dead.

I spent most of my time looking at the Oresund bridge wishing I was on the other side

Lycka till

Leave a comment:

• codemonkie
    replied
    Hi there,

I'm in the same situation, will be working in the well known company Lund, they want ppl to start asap but I need to sort out all issues that any newbiw would have to i.e. tax,accomodation,food etc.

Can anyone give us some advice on the any of about items please?

The agency has recommended an umberella called accexxfinancial, any good?

C

Leave a comment:

Working...
X