• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Sweden

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.lus.lu.se/bopoolen/eng/index.php

Is in English, ignore the fact that it's a student board, it's open to everybody.

Finding a place to stay in May/June is by far the easiest time of the year as there are no student's looking then, you definately got the lucky break there.

You will almost certainly have to take on a "second hand" fixed term contract. Make sure that you sign up for a full year. If you need to break the contract at the six month point you will have no difficulty finding someone to replace you in October. However, if you sign up for six months and are looking again in October you will be last in the scrum behind 20,000 students.

I have (indirectly) answered the question about Tax already in this thread.

Why is food an issue? Do they not have supermarkets where you come from?

tim
    Last edited by tim123; 5 April 2008, 14:00.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post

Why is food an issue? Do they not have supermarkets where you come from?
      Probably worried about not being able to read the labels.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I recommend ICA supermarket.

Better quality than anything in the UK.
        Guarenteed no British meat available either so you can relax

Also, they speak better English in Sweden than you and I ever will so I wouldn't worry so much.

Comment

Hej pa dig! PM me if you want to know more about living in Sweden. I lived in Stockholm for 4 years (1998-2002). Had its ups and downs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sisu View Post
            I recommend ICA supermarket.

Better quality than anything in the UK.
            Guarenteed no British meat available either so you can relax

Also, they speak better English in Sweden than you and I ever will so I wouldn't worry so much.
            Are you saying a non-native speaker can understand/speak English better than a native English speaker.

Comment

Hi Guys and Girls,

I'm new to the boards so please be gentle

I am also looking at a six month contract in Sweden starting soon. The agent trying to hire me for the job as said that I wouldn't need to pay tax for the first 6 months (which I think I've seen mentioned elsewhere on here).

Does anyone have any recommendations for Umbrella companies for non-UK contracts?
              I've followed some of the links found by searching "Sweden" on this site, but not had much joy....

Any help much appreciated!

Comment

Perhaps you should try reading a thread before you add to it.

tim

Comment

"Not pay tax for the first 6 months"
                  are you sure this is the same Sweden we are talking about...
                  The one close to Russia but far from Japan

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                    Are you saying a non-native speaker can understand/speak English better than a native English speaker.
                    yes.

my ex was swedish and she had had more english grammar lessons than i ever had.
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                      yes.

my ex was swedish and she had had more english grammar lessons than i ever had.
                      For me that wouldn't be hard. In 13 years of schooling I had precisely zero.
                      English teaching consisted of reading books and doing tests and expecting the pupil to learn by osmosis. 20 years later, I now see that this was a crap way of learning, but at the time I knew no better.

tim

Comment

Working...
                      X