• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agencies in North Bucks/Milton Keynes"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Area-51 View Post
    Is there any advice on how to get the first contracting role without running the risk of not getting anything for 6 weeks and going through a dry spell?

I understand the rewards, and appreciate the risks, but are there any recommendations on minimising the risks???
    Having in demand skills seems to work well enough for me.

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    All,

As I am new to the game, can anyone recommend any reputable agencies in North Bucks/Milton Keynes.

Thanks in advance,
    Andy
    If I can offer a small piece of advice on agencies in that area it would be to avoid any agency connected in any way with Veritas recruitment who as you sill see from threads passim on here went titsup a while back. They owed me something like 15K and it was only the savings that I had in backup that stopped me from killing someone.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Is there any advice on how to get the first contracting role without running the risk of not getting anything for 6 weeks and going through a dry spell?

I understand the rewards, and appreciate the risks, but are there any recommendations on minimising the risks???
    6 weeks ????!!!!!

That is not a dry spell, it is a holiday.

You will have to be prepared to be able to live much longer than that without work, getting paid could take longer still.

I was on a two month notice period at my last permie job, so I had to bite the bullet, hand in my notice, and then start looking.

Then it took another three months before I got the first contract. All in all, it was six months between my last permie salary payment and my first income from contracting.

I didn't regret it at all, but I can imagine that it would have been rather more concerning if I had a mortgage and/or dependents to support.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Jason and Jaws both have good advice; the only way to minimise the risk is to have money behind you.

The only other piece of advise is don't jump in before Christmas (the new financial year is always promising though...)

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I just took out a couple of credit cards, and arranged a bigger overdraft facility. Saving was never going to work on the permie salary I ended up on.

Just go look at the job sites; don't restrict yourself to a small number of agents.

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    It is absolutely essential to make sure you have some savings before you try this. You may end up getting a contract that you invoice for on a monthly basis, meaning you won't be receiving any cash for at least 2 months from starting work.
    About 3 months ago, I handed in my (4 week) notice then started looking 1 week from my last day, I'm very flexible in where I'll work and I have what I think are good skills (c#/asp.net) so I was confident that I'd find work. A week before that I set up a limited co, got an accountant etc, and I believe having those things set up helps give the agents a bit more confidence in the fact you are serious about contracting.

Leave a comment:

• Jason
    replied
    Dry spells happen, that is why we earn so much when we do earn.

If you are serious about going this route.. I suggest you:

Have enough cash to live on for 4 months
    Keep enough cash to live on for 4 months after you start your first contract
    Suck it up and jump. Nobody wants to wait for 30days+ after they offer you the contract

I hope I did not come over as being harsh, was trying to be realistic for you.

Regards,

Jason

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Area-51
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Let's just stop there, shall we? That answer is: "No."

Sorry to disappoint.

Could you recommend a reputable estate agent? An honest lawyer?

With the exception of needing security clearance, every contract I have had in my 12 years has started "9 a.m. tomorrow".

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    As I am new to the game, can anyone recommend any reputable agencies
    Let's just stop there, shall we? That answer is: "No."

Sorry to disappoint.

Could you recommend a reputable estate agent? An honest lawyer?

Also, what is the normal period of time that contract roles (on average) would require for a start date, i.e. I am permie at the minite, and notice period is 4 weeks.
    With the exception of needing security clearance, every contract I have had in my 12 years has started "9 a.m. tomorrow".

Leave a comment:

• Area-51
    started a topic Agencies in North Bucks/Milton Keynes

Agencies in North Bucks/Milton Keynes

All,

As I am new to the game, can anyone recommend any reputable agencies in North Bucks/Milton Keynes.

I always find word of mouth is a great thing, and if anyone can put any names into the hat then I would be very much appreciated.

Also, what is the normal period of time that contract roles (on average) would require for a start date, i.e. I am permie at the minite, and notice period is 4 weeks.

Thanks in advance,
    Andy

Working...
X