• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract to perm thoughts"

Collapse

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by kookachoo View Post
    How I know this feeling! But why do we do it? To take that year off and do naff all?

Because agents (and to be fair, some clients) thinks that a year off, equals a year spent looking for work unsucessfully, equals crap contractor.

tim

Leave a comment:

• kookachoo
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post

Now I'm doing a dead **** boring contract for three times as much money with every potential to still be here in two years (if I haven't died of boredom by then).
    How I know this feeling! But why do we do it? To take that year off and do naff all?

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    I have to agree that the change of T&Cs is the killer.

My last contract job was fantastic, the first project that I had really enjoyed working on in 10 years.

The client had made it clear that staying there as a contractor when the project was complete was not an option, even though I offered to do so on less money. So we discussed a perm position that he had vaccant.

It was made perfectly clear to me that despite my compromising a long way on my salary rquirements, he wasn't prepared to compromise on the 'perm' conditions - clocking on and off at the required times, asking for permission for holidays (which the other perms reported was often refused) etc, etc, etc, and I thought "sod him" and walked away. I'm fairly sure that he still has this position unfilled.

Now I'm doing a dead **** boring contract for three times as much money with every potential to still be here in two years (if I haven't died of boredom by then).

tim

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    [QUOTE=TheFaQQer;420196]
    Originally posted by Tensai View Post

Shame you couldn't get the quote right at the same time, though
    Hey, I'm new here [simper]..... will figure it out eventually

Leave a comment:

• wantacontract
    replied
    thanks for the joke!!

Yeah, I totally hear you......we'll see what they say....

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    [QUOTE=Tensai;418555]
    Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
    as for brown issue....

browne issue

My first ever typo spot

Slightly bored today.
    Shame you couldn't get the quote right at the same time, though

Leave a comment:

• El_Diablo
    replied
    Thanks for my first laugh of the day.

Classic

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Here's a couple more minuses to help you make the right decision.

Appraisals
    Career plans

... and you should also consider this "joke".

There once was a contractor who lived her whole life without ever taking advantage of any of the people she worked for. In fact, she made sure that every job she did resulted in a win-win situation. One day while walking down the street she was tragically hit by a bus and she died. Her soul arrived up in heaven where she was met at the Pearly Gates by St.Peter himself. "Welcome to Heaven," said St. Peter. "Before you get settled in though it seems we have a problem. You see, strangely enough, we've never once had a contractor make it this far and we're not really sure what to do with you."

"No problem, just let me in." said the contractor. "Well, I'd like to, but I have higher orders. What we're going to do is let you have a day in Hell and a day in Heaven and then you can choose whichever one you want to spend an eternity in."

"Actually, I think I've made up my mind...I prefer to stay in Heaven." "Sorry, we have rules..."

And with that St. Peter put the contractor in an elevator and it went down-down-down to hell. The doors opened and the contractor found herself stepping out onto the putting green of a beautiful golf course. In the distance was a country club and standing in front of her were all her friends - fellow contractors that she had worked with and they were all dressed in evening gowns and cheering for her. They ran up and kissed her on both cheeks and they talked about old times. They played an excellent round of golf and at night went to the country club where she enjoyed an excellent steak and lobster dinner. She met the Devil who was actually a really nice guy (kinda cute)and she had a great time telling jokes and dancing. The contractor was having such a good time that before she knew it, it was time to leave. Everybody shook her hand and waved goodbye as she got on the elevator. The elevator went up-up-up and opened back up at the Pearly Gates and found St. Peter waiting for her. "Now it's time to spend a day in heaven."

So the contractor spent the next 24 hours lounging around on clouds and playing the harp and singing. She had a great time and before she knew it her 24 hours were up and St. Peter came and got her.

"So, you've spent a day in hell and you've spent a day in heaven. Now you must choose your eternity."

The contractor paused for a second and then replied, "Well, I never thought I'd say this, I mean, Heaven has been really great and all, but I think I had a better time in Hell." So St Peter took her to the elevator where she went down-down-down back to Hell. When the doors of the elevator opened she found herself standing in a desolate wasteland covered in garbage and filth. She saw her friends were dressed in rags and were picking up the garbage and putting it in sacks. The Devil came up to her and put his arm around her.

"I don't understand," stammered the contractor, "Yesterday I was here and there was a golf course and a country club and we ate lobster and we danced and had a great time. Now all there is a wasteland of garbage and all my friends look miserable."

The Devil looked at her and smiled. "That's because yesterday you were a contractor, but today you're permanent staff.

Leave a comment:

• wantacontract
    replied
    hahahaha.....

damn my spelling....

anyway, yeah its a heck of a drop...

I am delaying them at the mo, as there is no work on at all..just at home doing "work" a la contractoruk

i've come to a decision.....its got to be 75k or above...see I am even more greedy after a good nights sleep....

I was working out some sums..and like you said, could just work half the year! really puts the perm position to shame....

I am lucky in that i have enough savings to not work for three years.....so I don't really need the security of the perm position (or the perceived security) but theres the thought of "I could be out of work for ages, when I could have taken the perm job with money coming in!!"

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Ditch the bitch!

Welcome to Dumpsville....population..you!

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    [QUOTE=wantacontract;417680]as for brown issue....QUOTE]

browne issue

My first ever typo spot

Slightly bored today.

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    Money is not everything but "60% reduction to what I am earning now..." sounds like a lot.

The way I look at that you only need to contract 4-5 months of the year to earn the same amount if you worked the whole year as permanent. Might be worth thinking about. Not many people can afford to work only half a year...

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    I feel your pain - my client is twisting my arm to go permie. If I was working from home I would jump like you are considering. However, I am 60 miles away!

Like you, I am thinking about the project coming my way, and how this could be a great career move longer term.

Decisions all round I think....

Leave a comment:

• bored
    replied
    Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
    60% reduction to what I am earning now...

I would probably ask for 70k and try to negotiate down to 65k (I have no shame...). Point out that they are getting an exclusive long-term resource who is normally only available on a contract basis

Leave a comment:

• wantacontract
    replied
    Denny, that is what she is worried about.....

I am more concerned about her getting upset, then me cheating......

I have uber will power..........

Leave a comment:

Working...
X