• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Was I too nasty with Agency ?"

Collapse

• Muttley08
    replied
    Dodgy was just being a bit sensitive...

Doesn't hurt to stick it to an agent now and again...95% of them are pr1cks...

Leave a comment:

• GWilliy
    replied
    Wow the debate continues.

OK - here's my view

Thanks for the support from the majority of people - I would suspect that it's only in rare circumstances that we find ourselves in a position to stand up to Agents when a Gig's on the line.

It's apparent that Agents make a living playing this game where we make a living providing something a little more tangible to the Clients.

Dutch the A. to
    Out of curiosity was the job with a well known mobile provider beginning with a V?
    would be yes - Newbury HQ

Maybe the 2 Years references was a Client requirement - why on earth did they not tell me this on the email after I had previously refused on the phone ?

DodgyAgent - lol
    Having satisfied your ego and then come on to this board to boast about it, may I be so bold as to ask Did you get the job?
    I don't think a post enquiring if I did the right thing could be viewed as an Ego trip unless the viewer was somewhat biased.

And for your Info I start a 6mth Gig closer to home nxt week.

& bye the way DA
    well I think it's fair :-)
    of course you would think it's fair.
    but as both we & you already know, many agents take up to a THIRD of someones daily salary.

And once we've started a Gig you folks really start to work hard - lol - you are always obligingly efficient - by your abscence.

GW

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
    DA, you must be getting a fair cut for that
    well I think it's fair

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    fair comment. They are miserable people air stewardesses.

The answer has to be go direct or buy your own aircraft
    DA, you must be getting a fair cut for that

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    fair comment. They are miserable people air stewardesses.

The answer has to be go direct or buy your own aircraft

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    They certainly do DA.

Just try not paying a bill, or getting drunk and swearing at the Stewardesses
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 28 August 2007, 16:00.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Just to get things in perspective, the in this market the contractor is the weakest in the power stakes. If an end client writes a letter of complaint the agency will sit up and take notice, however a contractor's letter of complaint is about as relevant as a single letter of complaint to say...British Airways or British Telecom; i.e., the agency won't care. I mean they'll read it and then think "ah he means no".
    Do BA or BT write complaint letters about their customers then?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Just to get things in perspective, the in this market the contractor is the weakest in the power stakes. If an end client writes a letter of complaint the agency will sit up and take notice, however a contractor's letter of complaint is about as relevant as a single letter of complaint to say...British Airways or British Telecom; i.e., the agency won't care. I mean they'll read it and then think "ah he means no".

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Having satisfied your ego and then come on to this board to boast about it, may I be so bold as to ask Did you get the job?
    Miaow!

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by GWilliy View Post
    Well it all happened so quickly !

I got a call on Tues am from Agency with "can you attend interview Weds am ?"
    It was 140 miles away but I agreed

Got a call later that day "sorry to muck you about can we cancel & I'll get back to you" I said OK

Got a call the day after that "can you attend interview tomm Thurs" I agreed

I Attended Interview with Major Blue Chip mobile Co next day for a 10 Day Contract - discreet piece of run of the mill data transfer work scheduled to be completed in 3 weeks from today.

Agent called me later that day "Good news they want you to start in 2 working days time. All we need are you company details etc and all your previouse employment references for the previous 2 years"

Mmmm I said "this is not going to happen I will give you contact details for my last Contract and that is all"

"O Ok he replied - that should be OK"

I then receive an email from the agent confirming that they do require 2 years references.

My response:

I'm fairly certain that these references were not required by the client or the agent should have said.

I'm lucky to have a V Popular Skillset and will work in most places in UK so have little difficulty finding contracts <Touches wood>

I just get so tired of Agents trawling for references & it seems now that they're making this a condition of engagement.

Q. How do you think the conversation went between the Agency & Client.

Q. was I being a numpty

GW

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I always have a couple that I know I'm free to give out - my last employer, who wants to go contracting so doesn't mind agents ringing him as it helps his network, and the one before that who never take on contractors.

They can provide me with a decent reference without inconveniencing them, or being useful to an agent.

That said - I wouldn't cover the past two years for anyone. You made the right move.

Leave a comment:

• dutchrecruiter
    replied
    2 years is a little excessive.

Maybe last 1-2 contract, but nothing more than that, if they indeed do actually take a reference.

Out of curiosity was the job with a well known mobile provider beginning with a V?

I have 7 contractors onsite there right now, and recently they have outsourced all of the recruitment through a RPO, Onsite rec company.

The 7 guys/gals all now need to be contracted to them, which is fine apart from the end client pay more than they did when they went through me direct.

Anyway, I was told by the RPO company that for the guys to extend I would need to provide them with 2 years worth of references, or advise that I have taken at least 2 years worth......... All 7 have been onsite at the client for the past 5 years! After advising this I will still told I would need to carry out references checks.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    I think you behaved in a good, straightforward and professional manner.

But exemplary.

tl

Leave a comment:

• pisces
    replied
    Originally posted by weemster View Post
    Lucky enough to have had the same gig a couple of years now directly with the client (written some software for him which has really taken off and getting a cut of the sales too) anyway when I get a call from an agent trying to get company names & hirers details from me (you can spot them a mile off) - I always make up a company name & person - Its great to hear them frantically writing down the details - one tw*t even said "oh yes......I know him !!" - Makes me smile everytime I recall the story.

I'm gonna do that in future

Leave a comment:

• jmcdglasgow
    replied
    I'm going to be making the jump to contracting soon, so how hard can you play with agents seeking references when you first start out, and you're seeking that first contract?

I know some of my previous employers would quickly be fecked off if they had even more goons phoning them up every other day...

J

Leave a comment:

Working...
X