• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Working at home

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working at home"

Collapse

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000
    Sigh, on the other hand. the business plan she has is forecasting her to make six figures in the first year alone, and that's with a minimal number of clients. If it works out, I'll just retire and help her out full time. yay!

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane
    Good luck.

I spent a couple of years operating as a 'real' business, sourcing my own clients (ie not via agencies) and working from home. That's the problem with agency contracting - that 90% of the contracts out there just seem to want bums on seats and working from home is out of the question.

I'm not sure of the specific field in which you operate, but I've found since starting onsite contracting that it's generally better money for less effort.
    I agree with all of you. But my doc has stated in no uncertain terms that I'm to avoid anything that will stress me out. So no way will I argue for hours on this...I mean she consistently overspends the budget - putting us into overdraught on a regular basis. Its quite fun actually as I don't use the account at all - I'm very frugal - to see her squirm when the letters from the bank arrive. That answers the "is she financially viable" question , no. I'm sure I'll be giving company loans right from the start. either that or she'll be using the tax credit money to make it look viable. (she keeps the tax credit money for herself BTW - a right bitch)

I work on databases, which will be extremely difficult to obtain work from home for. I may just have to supply data modelling expertise. I too have looked around and its quite impossible to beat the guys from russia/india/china on any contracts. I have obtained small (tiny) jobs on my own but most were done in two days and I got paid minimal for them.

I think I'll just have to ride it out, perhaps even making a loss on the company. show her that I can no longer support the family (ie: her spendthrift ways) and return to proper consulting. I've plenty in the company account so a one-year loss of a few grand won't hurt much. As much as it hurts me to say that.

Sigh, on the other hand. the business plan she has is forecasting her to make six figures in the first year alone, and that's with a minimal number of clients. If it works out, I'll just retire and help her out full time. yay!

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    What sort of help does she want? Unless you are as knowledgeable of the legal busniness you are likely to end up as her office junior with no time to do productive work of your own. Having a solid income stream is essential when starting a new business and if you end up passing up well payed contracts you income will take a hammering.
    Well, that's a good point too: an ignorant (sorry) inexperienced junior for free might be useable; the same at the cost of lost IT contractor income might be very expensive.

Take the well-paid contracts, then put money in to the business or the household as needed.

If she hasn't worked that out, is her financial plan sound?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Well the wife has put her foot down. I'm to curtail my commuting and help here out with her new legal business. So that means trying to find contract to work at home, or in her office.

Need some links to freelancer websites so I can work from home.

sigh.

What sort of help does she want? Unless you are as knowledgeable of the legal busniness you are likely to end up as her office junior with no time to do productive work of your own. Having a solid income stream is essential when starting a new business and if you end up passing up well payed contracts you income will take a hammering.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Well the wife has put her foot down. I'm to curtail my commuting and help here out with her new legal business. So that means trying to find contract to work at home, or in her office.
    Good luck.

I spent a couple of years operating as a 'real' business, sourcing my own clients (ie not via agencies) and working from home. That's the problem with agency contracting - that 90% of the contracts out there just seem to want bums on seats and working from home is out of the question.

I'm not sure of the specific field in which you operate, but I've found since starting onsite contracting that it's generally better money for less effort.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

sigh.
    Don't commute then - go away on a Monday and come back on a Friday. Doesn't count as commuting to me!

Argue your case, based on simple pedantry. She'll be glad to see you off on a Monday, if you work at it hard enough.

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by sli_gryn
    ouch! try http://www.elance.com or google

beware: you'll be competing against 'offshore' resources for the same projects. not unusual to see your 1k project undercut and awarded to someone who'll do it for 100.

p.s. you may want to convince the missus that you can do her co. better by being gainfully employed rahter than competing w/ ppl who have much cheaper o/heads
    Does she understand that it might cut your income by 90%? Most people don't grasp the range of income that is possible for a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• sli_gryn
    replied
    ouch! try http://www.elance.com or google

beware: you'll be competing against 'offshore' resources for the same projects. not unusual to see your 1k project undercut and awarded to someone who'll do it for 100.

p.s. you may want to convince the missus that you can do her co. better by being gainfully employed rahter than competing w/ ppl who have much cheaper o/heads

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

sigh.
    You pussy!

Leave a comment:

• dd1978
    replied
    wtf!

are you a man or a mouse???!!!

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Well the wife has put her foot down.
    Its time to get rid of her.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    started a topic Working at home

Working at home

sigh.

Working...
X