• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: rates

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "rates"

Collapse

• chicane
    replied
    Will always be £500 + VAT (if VAT is applicable). You'll never see a VAT inclusive rate, because VAT belongs to the VAT man, not you.

Leave a comment:

• BillHicksRIP
    replied
    So which is the correct answer? If you see a gig on Jobserve for Barclays, Halifax or another bank which is advertising £500 p.d., are they expecting that to be plus VAT on top or are there going to be problems later when you get the contract to sign?

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Originally posted by mocha
    I am considering taking a contract/consulting role and will be negotiating rate/terms directly with the client. What's the standard practice for quoting day rates on a financial services contract - are these usually inclusive or exclusive of VAT?
    Thanks.
    It goes without saying (I hope) that to charge VAT you have to be VAT registered !

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    I am sure that they will have various different parts of the company all registered as individual companies in the group though. I'm sure that employment of contractors will be handled by one of the companies in the group that can be VAT registered.

Banks know how to make money, and don't often miss a trick. I will not belive that none of them have found a way around reclaiming VAT for a large portion of thier business activities that do not involve exempt supplies.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    We are talking about them claiming VAT back from the money charged by people supplying them. I'm sure every bank is VAT registered and claims back everything they legally can.
    Banks are a complicated issue. Some of the minor services that they do are Vatable, but their core services are excempt.

A company which only makes excempt supplies may not register for VAT.

tim

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    We are talking about them claiming VAT back from the money charged by people supplying them. I'm sure every bank is VAT registered and claims back everything they legally can.
    I did hear of someone discovering his bank/finance house owned a long-standing but dormant company that was VAT registered. He promptly woke it up and made it into the outsource provider of his employers' IT services and infrastructure. Saved several million a year.

I'd be very surprised if he was the only one to have spotted that option, but banks cannot reclaim VAT on their core businesses, which is why he had to use a pre-existing company and not just set up a new one.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    I'm sure there are some ghost comapnies and internal chargin taking place to hide from the VAT man.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123
    Those selling mainly excempt items can't. This is Banks and Insurance Companies.

Neither can Local Authorities.

HTH

tim

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Unless they are banks or HMG...

The correct answer is to quote exclusive of VAT as eveyone says, but make sure you add "Plus VAT" so they are clear about it. It won't affect the outcome to you but might make an impact on their budgetting if they can't reclaim VAT.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    To put it in perspective, all businesses claim VAT back so they are not actually paying VAT.
    Those selling mainly excempt items can't. This is Banks and Insurance Companies.

Neither can Local Authorities.

HTH

tim

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    To put it in perspective, all businesses claim VAT back so they are not actually paying VAT.

Leave a comment:

• bangface
    replied
    Originally posted by mocha
    I am considering taking a contract/consulting role and will be negotiating rate/terms directly with the client. What's the standard practice for quoting day rates on a financial services contract - are these usually inclusive or exclusive of VAT?
    Thanks.
    I would say exclusive

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    exclusive

Leave a comment:

• mocha
    started a topic rates

rates

Thanks.

Working...
X