• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "using umbrella co, do i need to check contract in IR35?"

Collapse

• fzbucks
    replied
    Originally posted by oraclesmith
    Hey, if you pass your majority shareholding to me, it will help you save tax...
    swap 50% of each company's shares with each other

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet
    so if i owned less than 5% of my own LTD co then i would be IR35 safe?
    Yes.

The legislation requires a material interest, wihch is usually ownership of more the 5% of the share capital - but this also include control of more than 5%, right to receive more than 5% of the divis, right to receive more than 5% of the assets. Also the 5% includes associates.

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Hey, if you pass your majority shareholding to me, it will help you save tax...

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluebird
    then you're into the realms of reasonable share distribution, I guess you could quite ligitimatley sell your shares to your wife...

But then that could take her over the 37k personal threshold - all too complicated for me to think about.

I'm sure there's an easy answer why you can't do this...
    It's because she is a 'connected' person as defined in the IR35 legislation.

If you gave the shares to an unconnected person it would work.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by timh
    If that's so, how did the MSC's work it out so (if I understand correctly) numerous contractors each had x% of a ltd co yet got paid dividends based on how much they brought into the company, not its overall profits?
    Different classes of shares.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    If that's so, how did the MSC's work it out so (if I understand correctly) numerous contractors each had x% of a ltd co yet got paid dividends based on how much they brought into the company, not its overall profits?
    good point, but he doesn't really want to be an MSC does he....

Leave a comment:

• timh
    replied
    I would have thought that only owning 5% meant that I would only get 5% dividends, the other 95% going to the majority shareholder, who just by coincidence could be my wife

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    How about Hector simply deciding it was an artificial construction with no business justification other than saving tax, in which case he would simply ignore it, treat all income as personal and tax it accordingly?

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    S660a

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    I would have thought that only owning 5% meant that I would only get 5% dividends, the other 95% going to the majority shareholder, who just by coincidence could be my wife
    then you're into the realms of reasonable share distribution, I guess you could quite ligitimatley sell your shares to your wife...

But then that could take her over the 37k personal threshold - all too complicated for me to think about.

I'm sure there's an easy answer why you can't do this...

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Surely not.. Otherwise I could employ permatemp contractors, give them 1% and pay them mostly in expenses and dividends! Would that make me a MSC?

If they all got 1%, they would get an equal 1% share of company profits by way of dividends if that's how you want to do it. They might not like this because they all get paid the same regardless of what they do.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Surely not.. Otherwise I could employ permatemp contractors, give them 1% and pay them mostly in expenses and dividends! Would that make me a MSC?

Leave a comment:

• timh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB
    To go a little further than malvolio.

If you are paid purely PAYE then as a matter of law IR35 cannot possibly apply.

IR35 can only kick in if you are paid other than PAYE (dividends generally) and you own more than 5% of the share capital of the potential intermediary.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    To go a little further than malvolio.

If you are paid purely PAYE then as a matter of law IR35 cannot possibly apply.

IR35 can only kick in if you are paid other than PAYE (dividends generally) and you own more than 5% of the share capital of the potential intermediary.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X