• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UK company - contract with UAE company"

Collapse

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
    In the 90's UAE employers had a practice of holding on to your passport. I have worked there. Not sure if it still exists. Probably there are exceptions based on Citizenship. Get it clarified too.
    they're gonna struggle if he never goes there

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    In the 90's UAE employers had a practice of holding on to your passport. I have worked there. Not sure if it still exists. Probably there are exceptions based on Citizenship. Get it clarified too.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    if you're an IPSE member you have access to a contract template. Offer that to the agency. Saves a lot of effort and it is a fair contract for both parties. It is also written for UK law, which a UAE agency one probably isn't.

Leave a comment:

• barp
    replied
    Yep, they've confirmed they'll work with my UK LtdCo. Payment currency - not sure at this stage, I've seen an example invoice they supplied which GBP, but worst case would be AED, and I'd need to get a foreign currency account (TransferWise, etc. have solutions for businesses). I guess either way I'll need to wear some risk with regard to fluctuations in the prevailing exchange rate.

I've seen a contract template and it is indeed UAE jurisdiction (The applicable law is of England and Wales but supremacy is of one of the courts in Dubai), so would need to make sure everything is good and understand any risks to my LtdCo. For example, I've read that that termination clauses can be an problem in UAE - in that termination usually must be by mutual agreement, so would need both a termination clause and an explicit statement to say that.

From an IR35 perspective - both agency and client would be wholly within UAE but my understanding is that that my LtdCo is still responsible for operating the IR35 rules? Could be a long term gig so don't want to assume any un-necessary risk as eventual liability could be high. The agency contract is likely to require changes from an IR35 perspective as there are clauses such as having to get client approval to take time off, which obviously are not conducive to being outside IR35.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Has the UAE agency confirmed they will work with your UK LtdCo and what currency are they going to pay in/are you going to invoice in?

I believe Merkel does full contract, rather than just IR35, reviews. However, if the jurisdiction of the contract is UAE then you'll need a firm that knows the law over there.

IR35 shouldn't be a consideration if the UAE agency has no presence in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• barp
    replied
    Forgot to add - would be a remote role with the work done from home in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• barp
    started a topic UK company - contract with UAE company

UK company - contract with UAE company

Hi,

Currently exploring a possible contract opportunity with a company in UAE.

Has anyone worked in this way (UK Ltd -> UAE Agency -> UAE Client)? I understand that legals are a little different than the UK and am therefore wondering if there is a recommended company to use for a contract review.

Given my Ltd is the only onshore entity, I'd be responsible for determining IR35 status - so would need to make sure any contract signed is compliant as a starting point. The contract template I've had sight of doesn't look great, and I imagine a lot of amendments will be required before I'll be happy with it.

To me it feels sensible to have two reviews - a commercial contract review, and an IR35 review? I'd use Qdos as usual for the IR35 review but I'd really appreciate any recommendations of who can review the contract to ensure I'm protecting myself and my business.

TIA!

Working...
X