• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best Broly for short gig?"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    Quick question. I 'retired' last year and closed down the Ltd. I've now been tempted back for one last job - a client has a fixed piece of work and they've made an offer too good to pass up.

It's a fixed 3 month term, with zero chance of extension - which is fine by me. I don't really want to set up another Ltd just for this, so I assume umberella is the way to go(?). Can anyone recommend a good one for this kind of thing?
    Have you done the sums? Ltd isn't that much hassle (no VAT registration needed) and you could probably find an accountant to do the whole lot for a fixed price.

Leave a comment:

• moggy
    replied
    I, probably foolishly, put my details into comparison site contractormaket.com and almost immediately got a phone call. Briefly, he told me that umbrellas these days divide into two types, PAYE and others. The others pay you a low salary and the residual income goes into an 'Employee Reward Fund', and the brolly grants you a line of credit into the fund.

I expressed the opinion that this sounds suspiciously like the loan schemes that have got many people into a lot of trouble with HMRC, and he said no, they've been investigated and found to be compliant....

The phrase 'barge pole' is going through my head.

Took a quick look at the Contractor Umbrella website. Looks good.
    sounds like that site is pushing the "other" side rather hard..

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    I, probably foolishly, put my details into comparison site contractormaket.com and almost immediately got a phone call. Briefly, he told me that umbrellas these days divide into two types, PAYE and others. The others pay you a low salary and the residual income goes into an 'Employee Reward Fund', and the brolly grants you a line of credit into the fund.

I expressed the opinion that this sounds suspiciously like the loan schemes that have got many people into a lot of trouble with HMRC, and he said no, they've been investigated and found to be compliant....

i highly recommend them

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Surely this is dodgy?

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    what nluk said

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Should have said, pretty sure sole trader is not an option; it was the agency who contacted me and there's a strict 'preferred supplier' regime in place.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Sole trader not an option? Agencies won't take them but clients might be a bit more forgiving.

If brolly is the right answer then try Contractor Umbrella.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    started a topic Best Broly for short gig?

Best Broly for short gig?

Quick question. I 'retired' last year and closed down the Ltd. I've now been tempted back for one last job - a client has a fixed piece of work and they've made an offer too good to pass up.

It's a fixed 3 month term, with zero chance of extension - which is fine by me. I don't really want to set up another Ltd just for this, so I assume umberella is the way to go(?). Can anyone recommend a good one for this kind of thing?

Working...
X