• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Critical Illness Cover"

Collapse

• jonskids
    replied
    As others have mentioned you do really need to speak to an IFA. If (as your opening post suggests) you've had a recent health scare that'll need to be declared to the insurer to make sure the policy is valid and there are no issues if you have to make a claim (which I hope you won't have to).

Leave a comment:

• CMMEgroup
    replied
    Being diagnosed with any number of Critical Illnesses (such as Cancer, Heart Attack and Stroke to name just a few) can lead to life changing consequences. Financial commitments are amongst the last things that families wish to concern themselves with should this happen. Contractors are particularly vulnerable to the impacts of serious ill health as their income is usually completely dependent on them being able to work. There are very good policies available to safeguard against the financial consequences of ill health but also an ever more complicated market of insurers and products from which to select. To ensure you are covered appropriately, it is a always a good idea to receive advice from those experienced with both the contractor market and the types of financial protection available.
    Last edited by CMMEgroup; 4 February 2019, 12:29.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I've been talking to CMME as part of my mortgage process, would recommend.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    You need an IFA really.
    Identifying a policy that includes dividends in the income is what's needed. A lot just do salary and that's not a lot of use. Unless you're inside IR35.
    Mine is with BUPA, but I bought it over 10 years ago.
    You only need an IFA if you don't want to take the time to shop around and aren't competent to read the fine print yourself.

I haven't looked at this for a while, but it used to be there were policies that provided an income (in which case Lance's point applies) or policies that simply provided a lump sum (in which case it doesn't).

You may also want to look at Aviva's Significant Illness Cover within a Relevant Life Plan. It only pays if you are forced to retire by a covered illness -- but your company can pay it as a tax-free benefit.

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
    Please can anyone recommend critical illness cover providers for contractors.

I've recently had need to review my lack of cover in this area after a health scare.

See here on CUK: Critical Illness

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post

I've recently had need to review my lack of cover in this area after a health scare.
    You need an IFA really.
    Identifying a policy that includes dividends in the income is what's needed. A lot just do salary and that's not a lot of use. Unless you're inside IR35.
    Mine is with BUPA, but I bought it over 10 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• silverlight1
    started a topic Critical Illness Cover

Critical Illness Cover

Working...
X