• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Another contract v perm thread"

Collapse

• Ld1978
    replied
    Originally posted by fidot View Post
    The decision is made. Don't look back. Have no regrets by putting all your effort into the path you have chosen.
    Thank you - that is so wise and very true

Leave a comment:

• fidot
    replied
    The decision is made. Don't look back. Have no regrets by putting all your effort into the path you have chosen.

Leave a comment:

• Ld1978
    replied
    Originally posted by Glencky View Post
    Thanks for updating us, OP - glad you've made a decision! I think most of the people who replied would have felt it was the right one based on the information you'd supplied. The important thing is that even if it doesn't work out, you don't have to stay there forever! but I hope it does work out for you

(by the way, I'm not even slightly surprised they wouldn't change the contract to add the flexible working - I hope what you've been promised does turn out to be true in practice but if not, at least it's closer to home).
    Thank you I hope its the right decision as I still feel a little unsure.

Its a shame about the flexible working as its really key for a lot of people these days. However they have assured me it is fine. If not I will be off ha ha

Leave a comment:

• Glencky
    replied
    Thanks for updating us, OP - glad you've made a decision! I think most of the people who replied would have felt it was the right one based on the information you'd supplied. The important thing is that even if it doesn't work out, you don't have to stay there forever! but I hope it does work out for you

(by the way, I'm not even slightly surprised they wouldn't change the contract to add the flexible working - I hope what you've been promised does turn out to be true in practice but if not, at least it's closer to home).

Leave a comment:

• Ld1978
    replied
    Hi all,

I thought I would give an update on where I am at. So I have tried to push for flexible working in writing but they cannot change the contract and do not want to put it in writing as they said the whole team work that way so it leaves others open.

It sounds like a good role, good for my CV and I like the guy who heads up the area (which is a big thing) Its close to home, flexible (so they say) and can work around my family life and kids while they are little. I am going to see about leaving my Ltd company dormant so that worst case it doesnt pan out I can get back into contracting.

I think Id be a fool to turn it down at this stage of my life when I have no idea what contracts are round the corner and how far from home I would be.

Thanks for all the advice

Leave a comment:

• Ld1978
    replied
    Originally posted by fidot View Post
    Whichever way you finally decide, you will never know how the other option would have turned out. Therefore, there is no point of even thinking about the other path, once the decision is made.

I have always lived by the following maxim:
    Make the decision and then do everything to make that decision the right one, without looking back.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do.
    Very true and thank you

Leave a comment:

• Ld1978
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Why will your accountant give a hoot about your decision to go contracting or stay perm. He does your company finances.
    Because over the years of working with him he’s become more of a friend

Leave a comment:

• fidot
    replied
    Whichever way you finally decide, you will never know how the other option would have turned out. Therefore, there is no point of even thinking about the other path, once the decision is made.

I have always lived by the following maxim:
    Make the decision and then do everything to make that decision the right one, without looking back.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do.

Leave a comment:

• Ld1978
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I think it's time you woman'd and made a decision. You've had plenty of opinions to date and no updates are really going to change them as we aren't in your situation.
    ha ha yes this is true. I am going to see what happens with my flexible working request as thats key for a perm role for me. I dont want to end up perm and not having the flexibility to see the kids (which is the main reason)

I cant even make the simplest of decisions let alone a big life one lol

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I think it's time you woman'd and made a decision. You've had plenty of opinions to date and no updates are really going to change them as we aren't in your situation.

Leave a comment:

• Ld1978
    replied
    Well I am a little further along in making a decision. A big driver for me is flexible working (for the kids) which they said yes too but only verbally.

I have asked for something more formal to be put into place as I dont want to end up in a perm job thats less flexible and doesnt work for the kids (which is the whole point). I am unsure what their stance will be but I am hoping if they want me we can agree something that suits.

This could help make my decision

What do you think?

Leave a comment:

• Ld1978
    replied
    Originally posted by jbond007 View Post
    Are you the sole earner or do you have a partner that could support if you are in-between contracts ? It makes it slightly easier if you've got a fall back income from a partner/spouse so at least all your basic outgoings are met. If that's the case, you could carry on contracting and see how far you get. If you end up on the bench at least you've got your partner to support till you get back into a contract

Also, there is a resident expert here on parking situation at a particular client in Newbury should you end up with a contract there
    Partner is also self employed but full on work with the same person for the last 3 years so I dont see any issues. It wouldnt be enough to cover everything but I should be able to put enough by if I contract in the current one until end of the year and I have some redundancy left.

Said client is the perm job and where I got made redundant from ha ha. I've had calls about contracting but am not doing the bus thing ha ha. I assume the shaw parking is still going (I did that when I joined) but I have heard it gets busy very early.

Leave a comment:

• jbond007
    replied
    Originally posted by Ld1978 View Post
    Oh yeah there are crappy contract and crappy perm but contract sort of feels easier to move on if it doesnt suit (funds allowing)

I just wondered if IR35 reform hits and its not as profitable for people that companies may increase to entice contractors back (I think I read something vaguely similar)

I am still back and forwards on it today ha ha. I have always been useless at decisions and no doubt will regret which ever way I choose.

It just feels right now I am in a good contract (the agency have already been there a year) and I am sure with my experience and network (and good central location to London, Newbury, Reading, Basingstoke, Southampton) I would find contracts that allowed me to be home in good time (market allowing of course). I know there is a risk but I have all my Ltd Company up and running and its a hard call whether to see what happens if the contracting dry's up. Is it worth asking my accountant or will he say stick contracting?
    Are you the sole earner or do you have a partner that could support if you are in-between contracts ? It makes it slightly easier if you've got a fall back income from a partner/spouse so at least all your basic outgoings are met. If that's the case, you could carry on contracting and see how far you get. If you end up on the bench at least you've got your partner to support till you get back into a contract

Also, there is a resident expert here on parking situation at a particular client in Newbury should you end up with a contract there

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Why will your accountant give a hoot about your decision to go contracting or stay perm. He does your company finances.

Leave a comment:

• Ld1978
    replied
    Oh yeah there are crappy contract and crappy perm but contract sort of feels easier to move on if it doesnt suit (funds allowing)

I just wondered if IR35 reform hits and its not as profitable for people that companies may increase to entice contractors back (I think I read something vaguely similar)

I am still back and forwards on it today ha ha. I have always been useless at decisions and no doubt will regret which ever way I choose.

It just feels right now I am in a good contract (the agency have already been there a year) and I am sure with my experience and network (and good central location to London, Newbury, Reading, Basingstoke, Southampton) I would find contracts that allowed me to be home in good time (market allowing of course). I know there is a risk but I have all my Ltd Company up and running and its a hard call whether to see what happens if the contracting dry's up. Is it worth asking my accountant or will he say stick contracting?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X