• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Full Stack

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Full Stack"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by pauldee View Post
    I usually refer to myself as full stack but a number of agents have started using the term 'polyglot'.
    That simply means the ability to use multiple development languages in one environment e.g. a different one for testing to developing in to deploying in or developing different parts of an application/system in different languages as it is quicker.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Can get even certified in the "Azure Stack" now.

70-537

qh

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    I usually refer to myself as full stack but a number of agents have started using the term 'polyglot'.
    that's a good way to filter out agents.

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    I'm not sure it's a meaningless term. Or about companies being cheap.

Like a lot of developers that have worked for software houses or in small dev teams you have to be able to do everything.

When I hear full stack, I know they want someone comfortable working on the UI through to the database and all the layers in between.

It's a good prompt for me to say I'm not a full stack dev, because I haven't really worked on Angular, React, Vue etc. but I know html, bootstrap, javascript, jquery really well.

I don't think I've ever used the term when I've been involved in recruiting developers but I'm happy to understand that it's a general term that is a starting point in understanding the clients requirements.

Leave a comment:

• chineseJohn
    replied
    Current Buzzword

It's the current buzzword, everyone wants a full stack but most don't know what a full stack is, especially the recruiters. They have a hard time knowing what C# is.

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied
    Originally posted by The Castle Cary Fairy View Post
    I've read about microservices & can't work out what the big deal is. They are literally small services operating at a very high degree of granularity
    Originally it was quite a specific pattern. Small services, highly decoupled, each with it's own independent database or persistence, and communicating with each other only via publish/subscribe message passing. But very few systems described as microservices resemble this.

This was originally the philosophy behind SOA (remember that?) but when that got abused some people took the original philosophy and named it 'microservices'. Then that got butchered too

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by The Castle Cary Fairy View Post
    I've read about microservices & can't work out what the big deal is. They are literally small services operating at a very high degree of granularity
    It's the new fangled thing - ok a wheel reinvention but everything comes in cycles.

Leave a comment:

• The Castle Cary Fairy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Unfortunately this is the answer.

It is a meaningless term to describe a role where they want someone to do everything, but are too mean to pay for the skills to get two or three people who are very competent in each area.
    That's a Bingo! They do the same with SQL Server DBA but want Oracle skills as well. Then you find most of the work is Oracle with 10% SQL Server.

qh

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Along with devops, microservices and a whole load of others.

Agile

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    It's the one the client was thinking of when they wrote it.
    Along with devops, microservices and a whole load of others.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    It's the one the client was thinking of when they wrote it.
    Unfortunately this is the answer.

It is a meaningless term to describe a role where they want someone to do everything, but are too mean to pay for the skills to get two or three people who are very competent in each area.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Apparently Javascript and Apps: https://www.fullstackacademy.com/

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by Smeeton A Quiet Boy View Post
    My understanding is it means you do front end, middle tier and back end. It does seem to be focused on the Microsoft sphere in my experience.

A simpler translation might be a jack of all trades?
    The MS BI Full Stack usually implies SSIS/SSRS/SSRS. I have also read a job spec that required Azure Full Stack: PaaS/IaaS/SaaS.

qh

Leave a comment:

Working...
X