• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Whistle blowing?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Whistle blowing?"

Collapse

• Dr Vlad
    replied
    Whistleblowing Protection for Self Employed

Petition . Whistleblowing protection for self-employed medical professionals . Change.org

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/p...l-Nov-2019.pdf

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
    Moral of the story:

Download Tails, install to USB key
    Use TOR for asking such questions on the internet.
    Use Tails' TOR for whistleblowing.
    Or use the info to blacmail FD for not reporting issue to HMRC. Worth a 50% rate increase?

Leave a comment:

• contractorinatractor
    replied
    Moral of the story:

Download Tails, install to USB key
    Use TOR for asking such questions on the internet.
    Use Tails' TOR for whistleblowing.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by whistle View Post
    I can't go into any details for obvious reasons, but after pressing the FD he has now decided that it would be safer (for him!) to report the fraud, so we are in the process of doing so. Thanks again for your advice and the suggestion to go back to the FD rather than reporting behind his back - have not been terminated yet by them.
    Excellent news.

Leave a comment:

• whistle
    replied
    I can't go into any details for obvious reasons, but after pressing the FD he has now decided that it would be safer (for him!) to report the fraud, so we are in the process of doing so. Thanks again for your advice and the suggestion to go back to the FD rather than reporting behind his back - have not been terminated yet by them.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    And then they may find out the OP is a sockie.

Or that the OP has been posting from a mobile phone or internet cafe. Using a burner email.

Because if the fraud gets discovered and it is found you have known and did not report it, its deep doo-doo time.
    yep, deep, thick and very smelly

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    I'm pretty sure HMRC was already watching this forum for any IR35 and 90% retention threads, now we have a £1M tax fraud thread. The stuff these guys can learn from just reading this forum. The mods can expect an email from HMRC soon demanding IP addresses and email of the OP.
    And then they may find out the OP is a sockie.

Or that the OP has been posting from a mobile phone or internet cafe. Using a burner email.

Originally posted by Dylan View Post
    Ignore it, if HMRC can't be ****ed to do their jobs properly why should anyone help them. Useless *****.
    Because if the fraud gets discovered and it is found you have known and did not report it, its deep doo-doo time.

Leave a comment:

• Dylan
    replied
    Ignore it, if HMRC can't be ****ed to do their jobs properly why should anyone help them. Useless *****.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    I'm pretty sure HMRC was already watching this forum for any IR35 and 90% retention threads, now we have a £1M tax fraud thread. The stuff these guys can learn from just reading this forum. The mods can expect an email from HMRC soon demanding IP addresses and email of the OP.
    I'm pretty sure it would need a court order to be legally enforceable. And getting a court order needs evidence.
    Mind you HMRC may well ask admin who wants to be next for an IR35 investigation if they don't get an IP....

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by mattfx View Post
    As BP said, step one is to protect yourself. Recorded conversation with the FD or a follow up email getting him to say "no, I don't want you to do anything with this" in writing.
    "Excuse me, Mr. FD. Would you send me an email that puts your a*se on the line whilst covering mine? Thanks muchly.".

Good luck with that.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by whistle View Post
    I came across a significant tax fraud (around £1m) being undertaken by one of our long-standing suppliers, and brought this to the attention of the Finance Director. He investigated and agrees that there was almost certainly a fraud being perpetrated by the supplier, and instructed us to terminate them immediately which we have done. However, he does not want to notify the tax authorities as he is concerned that this will affect the backhanders that he gets paid.
    FTFY.

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    Get off your high f****** horse. OP is in an awful situation; and very well done for your sarcastic email, really useful in the business/professional forum. Bore off to General - k-thnx-bye.
    Bit harsh eh ?

OP isn't in an awful position. He has placed a higher value on protecting himself and his income whilst trying to pretend he really wants to blow the whistle under a moral obligation

Can't have it both ways.
    Last edited by radish2008; 8 January 2018, 09:48. Reason: spelling and added a bit.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Get off your high f****** horse. OP is in an awful situation; and very well done for your sarcastic email, really useful in the business/professional forum. Bore off to General - k-thnx-bye.
    Hmmm.

Leave a comment:

• mattfx
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    some of that is down to the lack of opposition they face. Maybe I should join IPSE.
    Sorry I thought you wanted opposition?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X