• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The agency will not pay invoices and go stealth mode"

Collapse

• nrsql
    replied
    I knew someone who was placing contractors, paying their first couple of invoices then stopping. He managed 7 months with one of them.
    He was eventually convicted of colluding with a bank manager friend to get a mortgage on a house he was renting.
    I don't think anything happened to him over the contractors, he kept it up for a few years.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hallett
    replied
    Out of interest, what does your contract say? If you have agreed to a ‘pay when paid’ clause then Agency B may have a case for not paying you.

This will depend on a number of factors such as have you opted out of the regulations and your payment terms.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Safe Collections View Post
    We will just leave this here...
    Political correctness gone mad.

Leave a comment:

• Safe Collections
    replied
    We will just leave this here...

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
    Meet them face to face as soon as you can.

I've been in a similar situation and took my "business partner" along - a large and burly Rugby player mate - it was all very pleasant and I just wanted it to be firm rather than threatening.

I eventually got all my money back
    A friend of mine, who is a contractor turned start up entrepreneur, brings round the twins, who his dad was inside with.

Leave a comment:

• silverlight1
    replied
    Meet them face to face as soon as you can.

I've been in a similar situation and took my "business partner" along - a large and burly Rugby player mate - it was all very pleasant and I just wanted it to be firm rather than threatening.

I eventually got all my money back

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by perplexed View Post
    Doesn't have to involve violence, can find things out.
    Nice to have the option.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    The large mates will ensure that other party behaves themselves.

Back when I was contracting (*cough*), a good few years an agency went into liquidation costing a number of us a fair whack of money. One of the other contractors went to their offices - shut and dark. He saw the landlord who let him in, he'd been stiffed too. Said agency had left servers behind - the contractor powered them up, able to access the data there - which included bank account details for contractors limited companies...
    I wonder if the landlord's account details were there as well...

Leave a comment:

• perplexed
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    With your rather large but silent mates?

Back when I was contracting (*cough*), a good few years an agency went into liquidation costing a number of us a fair whack of money. One of the other contractors went to their offices - shut and dark. He saw the landlord who let him in, he'd been stiffed too. Said agency had left servers behind - the contractor powered them up, able to access the data there - which included bank account details for contractors limited companies...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Personally I would go and see them in person.
    With your rather large but silent mates?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    If you have IPSE+ membership you can claim on their business interruption cover if an agency fails to pay but it's unlikely to cover the full amount.
    There are two different policy levels - one for if the client or agency go bust and there's no payment (max payout £10k, subject to aggregate limit), and one for agency not meeting contractual terms (max payout £1k).

It's worth ringing the office and asking about it though, just in case the former would pay out.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Personally I would go and see them in person.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    I refuse to work with small agencies for this very reason, too many one man bands have started up with no capital and are living hand to mouth. OP did you do a credit check on the agency before you started?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    If you have IPSE+ membership you can claim on their business interruption cover if an agency fails to pay but it's unlikely to cover the full amount.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Speak to Safe Collections. They post on here but you can get contact details from their website.

How can a business run if they switch off their phones. Doesn't make sense. I'd keep trying this. Try from a different number if you think they are filtering your calls out.

Does it say anything in your contract about you not being paid if they don't. Could be a delay up the chain.

Anyone else in the same position as you? Have you done a credit check on the agency to see if they are in financial trouble?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X