• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best approach to finding your next role?"

Collapse

• uk contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by jmercer View Post
    Sounds like we're all doing pretty much the same thing, but the roles just don't seem to be there.
    This x 100!

Leave a comment:

• jmercer
    replied
    Sounds like we're all doing pretty much the same thing, but the roles just don't seem to be there.

I'm thinking my CV might be too specific and needs to be generalised a little to open up further opportunities.

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Smackdown View Post
    I'm not sure I'd go that far, there was the small issue of the 'great recession'.

Having said that I got replaced by a permie last week and I haven't had a phone interview yet despite speaking to ~8 recruitment agents. A little bit scary compared to my other experiences.
    As your finding out now this worse than the "great recession" which never actually ended either BTW its why so many zero hour contracts & part time workers abound!

Leave a comment:

• rjoe
    replied
    Originally posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
    has anyone tried iContract?
    I've been on it since launch, platform has some potential, not much of a comparison to jobserve in terms of quality postings as far as I can tell...

Leave a comment:

• Stevie Wonder Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
    My LinkedIn feed seems to be full of recruiters with contracts at the moment, has anyone tried iContract?
    Yes, loads of adverts, requests for CV's etc... no roles.... My experience is talk to the people you know. Don't bother too much with people you don't.

Leave a comment:

• Smackdown
    replied
    Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
    Its not just you the IT market for several roles (generic support & dev & PM roles especially) has been poor for a long time. Read here backwards to get a flavour of that http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...arket-135.html
    ....but a lot of it is down to what you do. Unless you have a niche skillset right now its a very tough job market probably the hardest its been since post 2001.

Experience is less attractive right now to many clients it seems to boil down to rate first then experience 2nd due to how many foreign IT workers are here & happy to take lower rates which then dilutes future rates as many agents look and see what rates were offered in recent job ads before basing their rate card on that for the current ad! Which leads to constantly diminishing returns for the IT contractor obviously!!
    I'm not sure I'd go that far, there was the small issue of the 'great recession'.

Having said that I got replaced by a permie last week and I haven't had a phone interview yet despite speaking to ~8 recruitment agents. A little bit scary compared to my other experiences.

Leave a comment:

• Darren at Fox-Bartfield
    replied
    Contracts

My LinkedIn feed seems to be full of recruiters with contracts at the moment, has anyone tried iContract?

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Postage would cost a fortune...
    I used to do this back in the day. It worked when everything else failed during the dot com crash.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Some kind of electronic mail capability would provide significant savings.

Leave a comment:

• mattfx
    replied
    Gosh - how many times have we all thought that ?!!
    Yep - I'm still pretty green around the ears, don't worry; the optimism is being beaten out of me on a daily basis!

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    mass mail all possible vacancies

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    mass mail all possible vacancies

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by mattfx View Post
    Currently in the middle of negotiating a contract extension at the current gig, after a rate rise (12.5%) and as such, thought i'd best have a fallback so started reaching out for roles this past week. Got put forward for a role which frankly I thought i'd have in the bag given the day rate on offer being on the low side and being outside of London, but the client came back and passed on my CV! I was gob smacked. However their feedback was useful; I didn't entirely interpret the job spec correctly and didn't emphasis enough experience in a particular area they're after.

I think you're right OP, it's a very competitive market.
    Gosh - how many times have we all thought that ?!!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Look for permanent roles.

Leave a comment:

• mattfx
    replied
    Currently in the middle of negotiating a contract extension at the current gig, after a rate rise (12.5%) and as such, thought i'd best have a fallback so started reaching out for roles this past week. Got put forward for a role which frankly I thought i'd have in the bag given the day rate on offer being on the low side and being outside of London, but the client came back and passed on my CV! I was gob smacked. However their feedback was useful; I didn't entirely interpret the job spec correctly and didn't emphasis enough experience in a particular area they're after.

I think you're right OP, it's a very competitive market.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X