• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New Grad salaries

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New Grad salaries"

Collapse

• scriptfromscratch
    replied
    and make things shiny

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Use the polish - they're cheap...

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    21k average salary - which is interesting, as I started on 15k in the West Country in 1995, which bear in mind was just at the tail end of the early 90s IT recession, compared to now where we are in something of a boom.

That translates to an annual growth of ~3%, but inflation over that period has been far greater. So in real terms, IT graduates are much cheaper.

I bought my first house shortly after starting for ~50k (3 bed semi). I wonder what you could get for 75k in Wiltshire these days?

Leave a comment:

• To BI or not to BI?
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123
    I'm asking, because I'm interesed in knowing how much a uni industrial placement student would cost to take on.

When I did this I got about 80% of a new grad salary, but with a placement you have the added cost of 'training' them in the appropriate language (they all seem to learn Java now, which is not what my client wants) knowing that they are going to leave after a year.

OTOH you do know that you are going to get the full year, which you don't with a 'normal' employee.

tim
    You probably can get away with paying £15k or so, and you even give some keen student a chance to get some real valuable experience.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    I'm asking, because I'm interesed in knowing how much a uni industrial placement student would cost to take on.

When I did this I got about 80% of a new grad salary, but with a placement you have the added cost of 'training' them in the appropriate language (they all seem to learn Java now, which is not what my client wants) knowing that they are going to leave after a year.

OTOH you do know that you are going to get the full year, which you don't with a 'normal' employee.

tim
    Just hire one that has learnt something outside the classroom. Any decent IT person will learn stuff outside the classroom so just hire them in the language that you want.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied

tim

Leave a comment:

• ~Craig~
    replied
    I'd agree with £18k-£25k being the norm. Average being about £21k.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    why do you ask? why do you care?

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    Isnt slave labour free?
    No no no, you now have to pay minimum wage and apologise to thier descendents in 500 years time, after all it's only fair.....

(Oh dear am I slipping into General mode???)

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    Looking for some cheap slave labour tim ??? :P
    Isnt slave labour free?

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Looking for some cheap slave labour tim ??? :P

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Around £15k is about right outside the city. £18 - 25k in it.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Does anyone know what last year's crop of grads started on in IT jobs.

I'm thinking of normal employers, not City types.

TIA

tim
    Less than £20k seems to be the norm. I've seen anything from £18 - 25k.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    started a topic New Grad salaries

New Grad salaries

Does anyone know what last year's crop of grads started on in IT jobs.

I'm thinking of normal employers, not City types.

TIA

tim

Working...
X