• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Advice on leaving

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Advice on leaving"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    It's a commute to client.

Are you having a competition with NLUK to see who is CUK's largest pedant?
    Wut??

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It's only a commute if you are caught by the 24 month rule or inside IR35 shurely.
    It's a commute to client.

Are you having a competition with NLUK to see who is CUK's largest pedant?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    That thing that takes you from home to the client site.
    It's only a commute if you are caught by the 24 month rule or inside IR35 shurely.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    commute?
    That thing that takes you from home to the client site.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Make yourself unavailable for half a day or a day if the commute is prohibitive - you've got to behave like a contractor if you're going to be one.

Some orgs are like that (but such discrimination is good for IR35 if you can gather evidence of it). I make a point of not attending meetings that are for staff - I'm not their staff, I'm a hired hand.
    commute?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Cool. Does it keep you out of bus lanes?
    FFS

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Found something really cool out. If you press the ALT key and F4 something really wicked happens.
    Cool. Does it keep you out of bus lanes?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Same hymnsheet?
    Found something really cool out. If you press the ALT key and F4 something really wicked happens.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Hey LondonManc......
    Same hymnsheet?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Make yourself unavailable for half a day or a day if the commute is prohibitive - you've got to behave like a contractor if you're going to be one.

Some orgs are like that (but such discrimination is good for IR35 if you can gather evidence of it). I make a point of not attending meetings that are for staff - I'm not their staff, I'm a hired hand.
    Hey LondonManc......

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by commycont View Post
    Thanks for all your sage advice and sharing your wisdom.

It's made me feel a lot better as others have had similar challenges.

Thanks you - this is a great community.

The medical appointments thing has been frustrating because no flexibility on 9-5. I'm happy to start at 8 and go to appointment at 4.30pm but no move on this. Hey-ho! I'm going to try and front it out.

The whole org has a really negative view contractors. We get removed from meetings and you are constantly asked if you are one. I think this puts pressure on the hiring managers to make an example of us.

Thanks again, guys

Leave a comment:

• jimjamuk
    replied
    If it comes to it - give the 2 weeks notice but give her hell for 2 weeks - you might find a quicker exit that way

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by commycont View Post
    The whole org has a really negative view contractors. We get removed from meetings and you are constantly asked if you are one.
    Meetings on what? As a contractor did you need to be at that meeting?

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I've never seen so many people crying in a workplace.
    You haven't worked at some of the places I have

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by perplexed View Post
    Hmm, if on client site though they'd need to have some indication in case it were an issue with H&S implications?
    Nope unless you know it does.

I can think of two occasions in my working life where the management weren't aware of a medical issue with a colleague.

In one I made sure the facilities manager was aware as it was an issue with the building causing a problem.

In the other unfortunately a lady who was pregnant made some of us aware she was before 3 months because she had had 5 miscarriages. She then had another one at work in the toilets but manage to inform someone she had told she was having pains so they called an ambulance. I've never seen so many people crying in a workplace.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X