• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "3 Week Christmas / NY Contractor Freeze"

Collapse

• radish2008
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Doesn't that apply to most qualifications - just paper exercises in reality ?
    I once worked with a guy who had an MCSE, he was a new starter, after 30 mins of being sat at his desk he asked how to turn the computer on. He had done the course from books and never actually used a computer at all.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Depends. That's too much of a broad statement to be able to qualify 'most'. Most technical ones maybe.. but taking all professional qualifications across the board then you can't say that IMO.

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied
    Originally posted by Pherlopolus View Post
    I have never met anyone with an MCSE who had a clue on how to apply it with common sense and problem solving ability.
    That's because they don't test you on common sense and problem solving ability. They test you on remembering stuff.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    I have never met anyone with an MCSE who had a clue on how to apply it with common sense and problem solving ability.

Leave a comment:

• Pherlopolus
    replied
    Originally posted by Nayab View Post
    Thank you
    I real pleasure

Leave a comment:

• Nayab
    replied
    Thank you

Leave a comment:

• Pherlopolus
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    What's your perm experience got to do with a contracting forum?

Gotta say fella, all your bluff and bluster about how much you've got and what you do ain't endearing yourself to me... But you've got an MCSE so you must be good.

What you don't appear to have though, is a clue and a gig.

Leave a comment:

• Nayab
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Gotta say fella, all your bluff and bluster about how much you've got and what you do ain't endearing yourself to me... But you've got an MCSE so you must be good.

That's one way of looking at it, and a view I'm unwilling to share.

Leave a comment:

• Nayab
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    <cough> <cough>

Nayab this is a serious part of the forum. You want to be writing tulip like this in General.
    Understood. I am just finding my feet.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Nayab View Post
    I don't do Xmas or Easter or New Year. As a result I worked the bank holiday shifts in addition to my normal shifts at a perm role a few years ago. 5 years of tripe time bonuses at about 6 days per year. Helped pay for my divorce

I am from a poor working class background so I am of the ethic "You keep paying, I'll keep working"
    <cough> <cough>

Nayab this is a serious part of the forum. You want to be writing tulip like this in General.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Last edited by northernladuk; 7 December 2016, 21:24.

Leave a comment:

• Nayab
    replied
    I don't do Xmas or Easter or New Year. As a result I worked the bank holiday shifts in addition to my normal shifts at a perm role a few years ago. 5 years of tripe time bonuses at about 6 days per year. Helped pay for my divorce

I am from a poor working class background so I am of the ethic "You keep paying, I'll keep working"

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    I was thinking of when everyone goes on holiday and British business goes into this strange half-life during August.

I am 43 but this I remember when only having Christmas Day and Boxing Day off was the default. Now most permies think having two weeks off is their birthright.

Nostalgia - not what it used to be.
    Back then, though, shops used to close on Sundays and had half days on Wednesday so they could have a balanced life.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    What summer shutdown? That's just for factories in't north isn't it?
    I was thinking of when everyone goes on holiday and British business goes into this strange half-life during August.

I am 43 but this I remember when only having Christmas Day and Boxing Day off was the default. Now most permies think having two weeks off is their birthright.

Nostalgia - not what it used to be.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    On a more general point, if the Summer shut down and Christmas furlough grow anymore they are going to meet in the middle!
    What summer shutdown? That's just for factories in't north isn't it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X