• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Value Added By Agencies"

Collapse

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    You should try dialling using your other fingers, not your thumbs
    I have staff for that

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I sometimes find this a bit onerous

You should try dialling using your other fingers, not your thumbs

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by MaltSokol View Post
    Anyway the model I was referring to was meant to support plain body shopping, no technical leadership or accountability of project delivery.
    As you've probably realised by now, the barriers to entry are considerable and the hidden costs and risks involved may be prohibitive for the margins achieved versus expected.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Anyway the model I was referring to was meant to support plain body shopping, no technical leadership or accountability of project delivery.
    Maybe not officially, though if you do not provide those, you guys as a small entity won't last 5 minutes.

Only the big consultancies are "allowed" to fail to deliver on those items

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    , with very little effort, just a few calls.
    I sometimes find this a bit onerous

Leave a comment:

• MaltSokol
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Do you mean carrying out fixed price work or maintenance on a T&M basis? If you are then the client will want above all else a secure supplier. I have encountered contractors in the past who have taken on support work and built a business around the work they have done as a contractor. I have never understood why more contractors have not done this. I have also encountered contractors that have hired additional contractors through their own company. A number of successful agencies have sprung up out of these. I am not sure however that the low margin "tight process" high volume model is very attractive to these type of entrepreneurial contractors.
    Its a little different than the usual model in that other agencies won't get a look in when there is recruitment for that particular area.
    Still run by an agency, but separate from their usual operations.
    Unsure what the financial model is, fixed price, commission etc. as I haven't asked those questions.

I've tried a few times, its difficult in IB, for some of the reasons I outlined earlier, PSL, internal agencies running HR, TCS effect etc.

Still, I remember I made a few extra bucks out of it at the time, with very little effort, just a few calls.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Depends what you mean by the definition.

This model is totally separate from the agency model, its about building teams and taking whole responsibility for an area, say Market Risk for example.

Almost like outsourcing it?
    Do you mean carrying out fixed price work or maintenance on a T&M basis? If you are then the client will want above all else a secure supplier. I have encountered contractors in the past who have taken on support work and built a business around the work they have done as a contractor. I have never understood why more contractors have not done this. I have also encountered contractors that have hired additional contractors through their own company. A number of successful agencies have sprung up out of these. I am not sure however that the low margin "tight process" high volume model is very attractive to these type of entrepreneurial contractors.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    The managed service model of agencies operating at 3% margins has been around for 16 years or so.
    Depends what you mean by the definition.

This model is totally separate from the agency model, its about building teams and taking whole responsibility for an area, say Market Risk for example.

Almost like outsourcing it?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    There quite a few bigger agencies looking at what I would call the managed service model, if that is what you are on about.

I was looking at setting up one myself, with a big agency, until senior management decided those technical wizards at TCS would be a better option .

I may join up with one next time around, as it gives you protection against rate cuts and possibly furloughs that are so prevalent in the banking industry.
    The managed service model of agencies operating at 3% margins has been around for 16 years or so.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    FWIW Hays are doing exactly what you're describing for 4% where I am at the moment

There quite a few bigger agencies looking at what I would call the managed service model, if that is what you are on about.

I was looking at setting up one myself, with a big agency, until senior management decided those technical wizards at TCS would be a better option .

I may join up with one next time around, as it gives you protection against rate cuts and possibly furloughs that are so prevalent in the banking industry.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    That's a net working capital of £1.5m. Financing for 85% invoice value comes at 3% fee and the remaining £225k are to be kept in cash...
    And with said 2% net margin, that's £8.5k made per month.
    I agree it's unclear how to reach those numbers commercially, but that's not a bad return for my £225k
    Should I put it in a forex trading account instead?
    You're forgetting accounting rules around capitalisation. The necessary money has to be properly available at all times or you are trading while insolvent. The debt liability exists on your accounts even if you never have to pay it out.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    I think he's purely talking about acting as a middleman for client to contractor direct links who would prefer a middleman involved, suggesting that he can do it cheaper.
    Somebody has to sell or market the product. This is an extremely costly exercise as clients will not see the idea unless it is literally rammed down their throats.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    FWIW Hays are doing exactly what you're describing for 4% where I am at the moment

Leave a comment:

• MaltSokol
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    B2b can be anything up to 90 days and I'd imagine some of them are around that. Try the sums with that figure on. I would be a little careful with what agents tell you unless he's a mate and you knows he's telling the truth.
    That's a net working capital of £1.5m. Financing for 85% invoice value comes at 3% fee and the remaining £225k are to be kept in cash...
    And with said 2% net margin, that's £8.5k made per month.
    I agree it's unclear how to reach those numbers commercially, but that's not a bad return for my £225k
    Should I put it in a forex trading account instead?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X