• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Secured job interview but"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I'm surprised they just didn't do the thing some people are alleged to do on driving tests - send someone else then send the real person for the job.
    A software company fell victim to that. Yer man started on site - fine enough to speak English but he just hid in his booth all day emailing his work requests back to India and trying to look busy. Of course, his code was up to scratch but he was taking longer than the others to do it so eventually got rumbled.

Then there's the ultimate in urine extraction......
    US employee 'outsourced job to China' - BBC News

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    A certain bank carried out a very good phone interview with a Bob. Got him in for a face-to-face and he couldn't speak a word of English!
    I'm surprised they just didn't do the thing some people are alleged to do on driving tests - send someone else then send the real person for the job.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    I was told years ago that in certain countries there are a couple of people there to "help" the person doing the phone interview.
    A certain bank carried out a very good phone interview with a Bob. Got him in for a face-to-face and he couldn't speak a word of English!

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I was told years ago that in certain countries there are a couple of people there to "help" the person doing the phone interview.
    Correct, we had to tell other people from TATA to drop off an interview call, they were pinging the guy answers......trouble is they were wrong

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I had one phone (but I was still on a contract in Ireland due to finish), then one face to face, assume same for both....

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It's possible for the 2nd and 3rd choices to end up in gig's. PC has a nice career going out of it.
    There's a contracting "home" for all players

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    How many interviews were there? We're they all face to face?
    I had one phone (but I was still on a contract in Ireland due to finish), then one face to face, assume same for both....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    The first choice here was a Bob, 100% bulltulip on his CV, Christ knows how he got through an interview, he even managed to list himself with something on IMDB, I kid you not. He showed me the entry.
    How many interviews were there? We're they all face to face?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    The first choice here was a Bob, 100% bulltulip on his CV, Christ knows how he got through an interview, he even managed to list himself with something on IMDB, I kid you not. He showed me the entry.
    Quality

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It's possible for the 2nd and 3rd choices to end up in gig's. PC has a nice career going out of it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I was a second choice once, then they took the first choice on too after about six months. He was rubbish, booted him after two weeks.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    I think OP became 2nd choice after they interviewed first candidate.
    I was a second choice once, then they took the first choice on too after about six months. He was rubbish, booted him after two weeks.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Perhaps I've missed something. How was the OP 2nd option? He was asked to attend an interview. Unless told otherwise I would assume I was being interviewed on an equal basis to a number of other candidates. Client then would decide who, if any, they wanted.

No-one goes to an interview if client says we've got someone lined up but we want to see you just in case.

Its not about having experience in building teams, its about being fair to people. If you have a position, if you invite someone to interview, at least give them all an equal chance and decide afterwards. Anything else is just being a nobhead in my book.
    I think OP became 2nd choice after they interviewed first candidate.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Perhaps I've missed something. How was the OP 2nd option? He was asked to attend an interview. Unless told otherwise I would assume I was being interviewed on an equal basis to a number of other candidates. Client then would decide who, if any, they wanted.

No-one goes to an interview if client says we've got someone lined up but we want to see you just in case.

Its not about having experience in building teams, its about being fair to people. If you have a position, if you invite someone to interview, at least give them all an equal chance and decide afterwards. Anything else is just being a nobhead in my book.
    But it's all useful evidence that you're actively seeking work.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Clients can and do only interview one candidate.
    This. Had one just recently, luckily they only had one person to let down, when the budget was pulled, me

Leave a comment:

Working...
X