• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Have You Ever Taken A Contract Well Below Your Skillset/Level? Would You Do It Again?"

Collapse

• jamesd
    replied
    Yes

Hi,

Yes, its much easier to get into another contract, problem is with agencies though. They don't read past your last/current job.... Not the sharpest of tools...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by HarryCodLife View Post
    Yes you did, apologies, I misunderstood.
    Sokay. Thought I'd been a bit too vauge for a minute there.

Leave a comment:

• HarryCodLife
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Did I not say that?
    Yes you did, apologies, I misunderstood.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    When one is 'On the bench' as it were, the pressure can be on to get a contract due to a diminishing war chest etc.
    Did I not say that?

Leave a comment:

• HarryCodLife
    replied
    What?
    When one is 'On the bench' as it were, the pressure can be on to get a contract due to a diminishing war chest etc.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    The pressure can also be on, when you are off.
    What?

Leave a comment:

• HarryCodLife
    replied
    This. It only appears easier as the pressure is off. Like people thinking in their first gig contracting is easy not realising it took them 6 months to get it and the clock will be ticking to get number 2.
    The pressure can also be on, when you are off.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    I keep hearing this, and I also heard it all the time when I was a permie and I have to say it's a load of rubbish.

Trying to find a new gig when you're in a gig? Try informing your client that you won't be available for the next 3 afternoons whilst you attend interviews and see how long your current gig lasts.

Far better to be out of contract so you can dedicate all your time and effort to getting the next gig without worrying about annoying a current client because you keep disappearing all the time.
    It is true in a perm case though. Generally you don't have a decent warchest as a perm so there's less pressure to take a bad job than if you were on the dole. You'll also be naturally aiming higher than what you've got than settling for what you've just had taken away from you if you've been made redundant. Two different mindsets.

I agree with your opinion on contracting though; it would only be by exception that I take a gig that I wouldn't be happy seeing out.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I keep hearing this, and I also heard it all the time when I was a permie and I have to say it's a load of rubbish.

Trying to find a new gig when you're in a gig? Try informing your client that you won't be available for the next 3 afternoons whilst you attend interviews and see how long your current gig lasts.

Far better to be out of contract so you can dedicate all your time and effort to getting the next gig without worrying about annoying a current client because you keep disappearing all the time.
    This. It only appears easier as the pressure is off. Like people thinking in their first gig contracting is easy not realising it took them 6 months to get it and the clock will be ticking to get number 2.

Leave a comment:

• HarryCodLife
    replied

Good point.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    A 3 month-er at a lower rate wouldn't bother me, its always easier to find work when you're in a gig, take the role and keep looking!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
    He has much to be modest about.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    I did notices that, but I'd say it applies to anyone who has a 3 month warchest, and had a large spell out.

It's my advice to the OP, if others "don't understand" my point, that's up to them.

And yes, with a gig in hand, certainly take it, and go from there.
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    So you'd advise someone like that who has a contract offer (but as far as we know, not a perm offer) to stop contracting?
    No, but I can see why folks were questioning now.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    I did notices that, but I'd say it applies to anyone who has a 3 month warchest, and had a large spell out.

It's my advice to the OP, if others "don't understand" my point, that's up to them.

So you'd advise someone like that who has a contract offer (but as far as we know, not a perm offer) to stop contracting?

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    The OP isn't starting out, he is a Contractor who has had a couple of dry spells for various reasons.

He had a war chest that is running low as a result.

As above, I'd take the gig, bank the money, look for a new gig in the meantime and leave the crap bits of the job off the CV.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X