• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Funding plan B

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Funding plan B"

Collapse

• ContrataxLtd
    replied
    Originally posted by London75 View Post
    Thanks, I may take you up on that, will do some more reading first though. I presume a business loan out would be pre-corp tax from my ltd? The only other thing then would be assuring that our return from the Plan B is proportional to the funds put into it plus something for the work (he has more cash than I have hence my 25%)
    Initially the loans probably wouldn't have an affect on your corporation tax (current LTD) as they will simply be a balance sheet item. if the loan was written off in the future that is when there may be a corporation tax implication depending on the exact setup and if the two companies are 'connected' for in respect of 'non trade loan relationship' rules.

Sorting out the returns is a separate discussion which again needs looking at, maybe you want A/B shares (runs for cover), preference shares, growth shares or just your bog standard ordinary shares etc.

As I say, there is actually quite a bit to think about with this......

Martin
    Contratax Ltd

Leave a comment:

• London75
    replied
    Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
    Hi Andy

From the sounds of it you probably want to keep the ownership of plan B personally so that you could benefit from ER upon sale, however, there are some pros to owning it through current LTD as any sale could be shipped to that company tax free in some circumstances.

The funding would most likely come from current LTD as business loans, ideally on commercial terms with interest being charged.

This is just a quick overview really and does need a bit of in depth work doing on it to ensure things are setup as efficiently as possible to cover both scenarios (big profit on sale or loss after 3 years).

Drop me a PM and I may be able to help a little further.

Cheers

Martin
    Contratax Ltd
    Thanks, I may take you up on that, will do some more reading first though. I presume a business loan out would be pre-corp tax from my ltd? The only other thing then would be assuring that our return from the Plan B is proportional to the funds put into it plus something for the work (he has more cash than I have hence my 25%)

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Haven't read your post, but has Ben Drew got a new album out?

Leave a comment:

• ContrataxLtd
    replied
    Originally posted by London75 View Post
    I'm entering into a Plan B with another party and the nature of the business is such that it will need regular funding from us for at least a year but probably 3. I will be a 25% owner and in an ideal world I'd fund it out of my own money, however, I generally go over the tax thresholds already in dividends from my own contractor ltd co so really don't want to pay even more tax.

On the other side though, we are beginning to work through the numbers and can see this will either be a big flop or a big success, there isn't really a middle ground. If the latter does it just mean the inevitable sale of the venture in 5 years will return profit to my Ltd and I would just draw it out over time in the most tax efficient way possible?

In what way should the business fund the Plan B if I go that route? It's going to be around £1000 per month for the next 3 years. Is that a series of business loans, in which case I'll need to charge Plan B an interest rate (I can't manage that much up front so it needs to be monthly). Should it be a series of share purchases in Plan B? We don't particularly see the Plan B bank account having enough cash to to repay the loans at year 3 as all profit will need to be re-invested back into the business to fit the model we've come up with.

Any thoughts on the best way to approach? I haven't asked my accountants yet but they generally seem to struggle with all but the simplest of contractor questions and are amazingly risk averse. I've decided I can afford this venture (with some lifestyle changes), just want to do it most tax efficiently,

Cheers, Andy
    Hi Andy

From the sounds of it you probably want to keep the ownership of plan B personally so that you could benefit from ER upon sale, however, there are some pros to owning it through current LTD as any sale could be shipped to that company tax free in some circumstances.

The funding would most likely come from current LTD as business loans, ideally on commercial terms with interest being charged.

This is just a quick overview really and does need a bit of in depth work doing on it to ensure things are setup as efficiently as possible to cover both scenarios (big profit on sale or loss after 3 years).

Drop me a PM and I may be able to help a little further.

Cheers

Martin
    Contratax Ltd

Leave a comment:

• London75
    started a topic Funding plan B

Funding plan B

I'm entering into a Plan B with another party and the nature of the business is such that it will need regular funding from us for at least a year but probably 3. I will be a 25% owner and in an ideal world I'd fund it out of my own money, however, I generally go over the tax thresholds already in dividends from my own contractor ltd co so really don't want to pay even more tax.

On the other side though, we are beginning to work through the numbers and can see this will either be a big flop or a big success, there isn't really a middle ground. If the latter does it just mean the inevitable sale of the venture in 5 years will return profit to my Ltd and I would just draw it out over time in the most tax efficient way possible?

In what way should the business fund the Plan B if I go that route? It's going to be around £1000 per month for the next 3 years. Is that a series of business loans, in which case I'll need to charge Plan B an interest rate (I can't manage that much up front so it needs to be monthly). Should it be a series of share purchases in Plan B? We don't particularly see the Plan B bank account having enough cash to to repay the loans at year 3 as all profit will need to be re-invested back into the business to fit the model we've come up with.

Any thoughts on the best way to approach? I haven't asked my accountants yet but they generally seem to struggle with all but the simplest of contractor questions and are amazingly risk averse. I've decided I can afford this venture (with some lifestyle changes), just want to do it most tax efficiently,

Cheers, Andy

Working...
X