• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Notice given over Christmas"

Collapse

• piotrkula
    replied
    I gave in notice over this holiday period, I worked over holiday period, I got paid.
    You no work, no pay.

Contract isn't an obligation to pay you when you don't work, but to pay you for the work you do. More work done more money.
    Simples?!

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    2. The work he was doing will require a hand over - You now have lost a significant amount of work that you paid a contractor at double the permie rate to do.

Personally I think this is indicative of a client with brain damage. Noting clever at all about this scenario. It never ceases to amaze me the way clients will pay contract rates and actively seek to not get full value from the contractor. So things like giving you a visitor pass, filling out multiple timesheets, bizarre contractor admin, not providing key information or resources.
    Permies are a lot more expensive than contractors.

Sometimes contractors are simply hired on "projects" with the sole aim that a budget isn't cut. When the budget is renewed the contractor has served his purpose....... preserving the managers budget.
    Last edited by clearedforlanding; 3 January 2016, 18:05.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Don't forget it could also be the contractor was not good enough and it was worth any hit to replace them. After spending quite a bit of time helping with the resourcing process at my client this year I can't believe it doesn't happen more.
    Yup. Sunken cost fallacy on behalf of the contractor is too often seen often combined with a false sense of value.

Our accounting unit is 500K. Now where in the scheme of things does a contractor figure on my P&L? Not even a blip. Part of being a contractor is that you are expendable. If you are a tulip one, you go to the top of the list when the CFO squeezes.
    Last edited by clearedforlanding; 3 January 2016, 17:57.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Can't say I agree that this is clever?

1. Any work he was doing doesnt require a handover - Why would you pay double the contract rate for a contractor that produces work that really doesn't matter?
    2. The work he was doing will require a hand over - You now have lost a significant amount of work that you paid a contractor at double the permie rate to do.

-- The true reason -- It will be about a budget or budget objective that was missed and the project was canned. - Waste of money all round.

Personally I think this is indicative of a client with brain damage. Noting clever at all about this scenario. It never ceases to amaze me the way clients will pay contract rates and actively seek to not get full value from the contractor. So things like giving you a visitor pass, filling out multiple timesheets, bizarre contractor admin, not providing key information or resources.
    Don't forget it could also be the contractor was not good enough and it was worth any hit to replace them. After spending quite a bit of time helping with the resourcing process at my client this year I can't believe it doesn't happen more.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    And that HR have way too much power these days.

Though I should be grateful. At my current gig I put my personal mobile on their system and HR made me remove it. And told me off for doing weekends without getting paid and for doing too long a professional day. So maybe they are not all bad....

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You must have done, you were interesting for a period a long time ago....
    Fixed

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    1. Even though I would do if it suited me and I think its fair game IF its in the contract, I have NEVER invoked an interest period.
    You must have done, you were interesting for a period a long time ago....

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Harsh as in not nice for the contractor. Didnt say it wasnt allowed or unfair did I?
    But not something any of us would be "happy" about.

NLUK - If you're going to have a dig, at least get your facts right and not make up any old bollacks.

1. Even though I would do if it suited me and I think its fair game IF its in the contract, I have NEVER invoked a notice period.

2. I've also never bailed without a notice period.

3. I've had plenty of extensions, but only ever turned down one once to go elsewhere.

4. Yes I will claim JSA if I'm out of contract but I've been in contract for the last two years continuously.
    Last edited by psychocandy; 30 December 2015, 14:03.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    OP - harsh but they've done it all as per contract it seems. You were planning not to work over this period and they've just got the notice to run over this period.

Clever of them because of course they've got rid with no hassle now.
    It's not harsh at all.

Loads of companies have enforced Christmas time off for contractors AND permies.

The fact it coincides with the OP notice is just bad luck.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    OP - harsh but they've done it all as per contract it seems. You were planning not to work over this period and they've just got the notice to run over this period.

Says the guy that thinks it's acceptable for the contractor to be a complete mercenary anytime he wants. Gotta to be fair for both sides as you keep telling me.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

Personally I don't think it is harsh. It is just business.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by julshk View Post
    Do I still charge them?
    Almost certainly not.

Actually - why not try? They can only laugh at you....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Welcome to CONTRACTing. Be a good idea to read them.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Read your contract. If it says you can invoice for holidays ( I doubt it ) or the notice period when you are not in work ( I doubt it ) then invoice them.

Otherwise put your efforts into updating your CV, reaching out to your contacts and getting a new contract.

Contractors are flexible resources. You've been flexed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X