• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Making the Leap

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Making the Leap"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
    Cos NUK always tries to put off any new competition.
    These guys? Competition?? Give me a break. Lol...

Most of them.. including the guy you quoted probably don't have much idea of what it is except for sitting at a client desk working.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 29 December 2015, 11:39.

Leave a comment:

• Danglekt
    replied
    Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
    With regard to contracting, you come across as obsessively risk averse. The OP wouldn't be posting their thread if they didn't think they could handle contracting. If they're on the fence about jumping, then why not encourage it? It's a risky and tricky business but it's not that difficult. Are you sure you can handle the stress of contracting? You seem to go to great lengths to have every detail analysed and thought through. Contracting isn't rocket science. Let the OP go for it.
    Cos NUK always tries to put off any new competition.

Leave a comment:

• wantacontract
    replied
    Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
    Over the past few years I've seen more and more inexperienced contractors. It's very frustrating for the guys who take pride in what they do as a professional contractor and do it well above the standard that the permies do.

A tech lead contractor on my recent project told me that he'd never used Visio and therefore couldn't do a simple architecture diagram

I told him he had 24hrs to learn !
    WTF....are you serious...

Leave a comment:

• shingz
    replied
    U think that's bad?

A tech lead contractor on my recent project told me that he'd never used Visio and therefore couldn't do a simple architecture diagram !
    I know of an IT auditor who doesn't know how to convert a csv file to Excel

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Over the past few years I've seen more and more inexperienced contractors. It's very frustrating for the guys who take pride in what they do as a professional contractor and do it well above the standard that the permies do.

A tech lead contractor on my recent project told me that he'd never used Visio and therefore couldn't do a simple architecture diagram

Comes from clients paying tulip rates, I mean 250-300 quid a day in London for a senior dev = you will get either a blagger or a bob.

Leave a comment:

• silverlight1
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    That sort of statement makes me realise why I come across contractors with no skills these days.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    FTFY....
    Boltonites. Can't live with 'em, can't get rid of 'em.....

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Their is some grate advise on they're about grammer and punctuation has well you now.
    FTFY....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Googles to blame then
    There is some great advice on there about grammar and punctuation as well you know.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    mmm. This 1 post sockie was a success. Where to next.
    The pub.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Apart from seeing it in real life I've also been on this site a while
    Good Point

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

You wouldn't believe how many IT bods don't know how to use it.
    Apart from seeing it in real life I've also been on this site a while

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Don't bother training them then - there is a thing called Google.
    Yes, you are indeed correct.

You wouldn't believe how many IT bods don't know how to use it.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Made me the man I am.....
    Googles to blame then

Leave a comment:

• wantacontract
    replied
    personally I think now is a terrible time to go contracting......I honestly would recommend anyone with a permie job to stick at it, or just look for another permie job....

the market is really tough and the rates have declined in general, and G Osbourne is determined to kill off the contractor market, people that just jump without looking at this from all angles and have a decent bit of savings behind will be going into a world of hurt IMO...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    mmm. This 1 post sockie was a success. Where to next.
    The ban list?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X