• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Leaving mid contract - how to tell the client?"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    [PC] Go off sick [/PC]
    LOL. I would work the notice....!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Agency - who GAF
    Client - make up a personal issue if asked which means you have to spend more time at home in the short term. If you mention travel etc you won't be able to work there in the future.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Exercise your notice period in your contract FFS if you haven't got one then stay until the end, it's not rocket science is it?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    They may be glad to see the back of you.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    "Leaving mid contract - how to tell the client? "

It's Not You , It's Me ...
    I think we should see other Clients...
    Last edited by CloudWalker; 18 August 2015, 15:45.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    WWNLUKD

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Why? This is business. What do you think "courtesy" would mean if it went the other way? Courtesy is "Best Regards" at the end of the email.

You don't want to offend him? Then don't tell him that he's crap. He doesn't own your company, you do; so you make the decisions for it, and you don't have to explain them to him.
    Business relies on keeping people sweet. No point upsetting the client needlessly. I wouldn't make up stories though. If there is no other reason, or the reason is you are leaving cos you hate the contract or client, just say instead you feel this is the right move for you personally at this time, or similar waffle. Corporate euphemism.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by bluedrop View Post
    Thanks Steelydan. I have to give them a reason (out of courtesy). What can I tell them to just keep the discussion short? I have a decent relationship with my boss - i dont want to offend him by saying the truth ( sinking ship - poor management etc)
    Why? This is business. What do you think "courtesy" would mean if it went the other way? Courtesy is "Best Regards" at the end of the email.

You don't want to offend him? Then don't tell him that he's crap. He doesn't own your company, you do; so you make the decisions for it, and you don't have to explain them to him.

Leave a comment:

• jbond007
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    I'm not entirely against a little white lie (opportunity to learn X skill, travel is too much) if it makes me sound less like a money grubbing contractor (I'm leaving for more money).
    /\/\ This. If you want to avoid saying the real reason, then go with what jmo21 said.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    I'm not entirely against a little white lie (opportunity to learn X skill, travel is too much) if it makes me sound less like a money grubbing contractor (I'm leaving for more money).

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    I have left a contract half way through. Just invoke the notice clause and tell the agent very politely that you are leaving for a more attractive contract. Say you regret leaving and so on, and point out how the new gig is better for you, right now (closer to home, better rate etc) and they will understand. Don't say you are leaving because your current contract is rubbish. Don't say anything bad about the current gig. Say you are sad to be leaving etc. etc.

I would then leave the agent to tell the client, or perhaps tell the client a day or two after. But I would tell the agent first as a courtesy, because that's who you are in a contract with.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Plenty of situations in these posts that might provide some insight in to your situation...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ho...GbJcuva-XVt9AF

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    https://www.gov.uk/handing-in-your-notice/giving-notice

Leave a comment:

• GillsMan
    replied
    Christ, it's a reasonable enough question isn't it? If you think you succeed in business by not asking questions from other people who've been in your situation before, you're an idiot.

Personally, I can't help as I haven't left a contract midway through before, though was sorely tempted to before. I imagine I'd be straight with them, offer to help with handover, probably offer to do one or two days training of the replacement for free if I wanted to keep relations friendly. I'd also be prepared to be let go immediately.

Leave a comment:

• Intel
    replied
    Tell them the truth. Project dying, better contract elsewhere. Stick to the terms of your contract and then walk away.

I wouldn't be bothered about annoying them, if they can't run a project now why would you want to go back to them in the future anyway?

Running a business should be a dispassionate process.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X