• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Umbrella pretending to be UK based?"

Collapse

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by maspinall View Post
    I wouldn't call it paranoia.

If they have been "treating" with you on the basis of a certain set of facts (i.e. that they are called XYZ Limited and are based at 123 Any Street, Anytown, England, AN30 YTO) and the contract then arrives bearing different details, then there can't be said to have been a "meeting of minds" in relation to who the parties to the contract are. That could then call into question any clauses that rely upon one party having any expectation of the other - for example, you expect them to pay you but if the contract is not "met" in relation to who "them/they" are, you could find them being argumentative. The Court would likely side with you if it came to it - but you'd [possibly] have the devil's own job getting them into a courtroom - especially if they are already appearing to play fast and loose with facts like those.
    But, as all you want from an umbrella is prompt payment following receipt of timesheets, why invite potential expensive, mind destroying, heartbreaking complications for the sake of a 'promised' few quid more?

Leave a comment:

• maspinall
    replied
    I wouldn't call it paranoia.

If they have been "treating" with you on the basis of a certain set of facts (i.e. that they are called XYZ Limited and are based at 123 Any Street, Anytown, England, AN30 YTO) and the contract then arrives bearing different details, then there can't be said to have been a "meeting of minds" in relation to who the parties to the contract are. That could then call into question any clauses that rely upon one party having any expectation of the other - for example, you expect them to pay you but if the contract is not "met" in relation to who "them/they" are, you could find them being argumentative. The Court would likely side with you if it came to it - but you'd [possibly] have the devil's own job getting them into a courtroom - especially if they are already appearing to play fast and loose with facts like those.

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    If the umbrella company is based offshore and using a UK office as a front then the Offshore Intermediaries Legislation will apply https://www.gov.uk/government/public...intermediaries. Did you find the company or were they recommended to you by the agency?
    Yup! Being linked with an offshore company puts you way up the queue for a snap inspection if nothing else, even if you are PAYE.
    Last edited by Taita; 3 June 2015, 16:37.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I agree it's not paranoia, there are plenty of examples of "scheme" providers that call themselves Umbrellas and as people have said if it goes wrong then they definitely are out to get you.

When it comes to who gets their hands on your contract rate and who pays your Tax and NI play it safe.

Leave a comment:

• Safe Collections
    replied
    Originally posted by Charcoal76 View Post
    Dear all,

I was literally in the process of signing a contract with an Umbrella company today, when i noticed the 'name of employer' is totally different to that of the supposed Umbrella company, plus the contract states they are based offshore in St Helier, rather than mainland UK as all their other documentation/website suggests.

They are NOT offering me 90% of my income, just a bog standard umbrella service.

SO, ive instantly backed off.

Any experience or advice on this? perhaps it normal?

Must admit, i had visions that they will deduct tax from me at UK rates, which they'll then retain for themselves, being an offshore company...

Am i unnecessarily paranoid?

Charcoal76
    We wouldn't have said so. An umbrella will have a very large part to play in the heath of your finances so spending some time to find a reputable company is a very good idea. You only have to look at this thread to see how much can be lost in the event a brolly goes under.

The fact this company is registered in Jersey would make it considerably more difficult for you to take any legal action in the event things went awry.

As others have said with so many reputable and long standing UK registered brollies around we really can't see any advantage for you to get in to business with an offshore entity.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    +1. That would be my immediate suspicion...

When it comes to umbrella's my only recommendation is contractor umbrella. Simply because the boss posts here (as can be seen in the post above) and if anything goes wrong it will be easily sorted...
    Thanks Eek

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    an umbrella company wants to take my client! | AccountingWEB

It could be a mechanism for pocketing the Employer's NI.
    +1. That would be my immediate suspicion...

When it comes to umbrella's my only recommendation is contractor umbrella. Simply because the boss posts here (as can be seen in the post above) and if anything goes wrong it will be easily sorted...

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    If the umbrella company is based offshore and using a UK office as a front then the Offshore Intermediaries Legislation will apply https://www.gov.uk/government/public...intermediaries. Did you find the company or were they recommended to you by the agency?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    an umbrella company wants to take my client! | AccountingWEB

It could be a mechanism for pocketing the Employer's NI.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Charcoal76 View Post
    Dear all,

I was literally in the process of signing a contract with an Umbrella company today, when i noticed the 'name of employer' is totally different to that of the supposed Umbrella company, plus the contract states they are based offshore in St Helier, rather than mainland UK as all their other documentation/website suggests.

They are NOT offering me 90% of my income, just a bog standard umbrella service.

Must admit, i had visions that they will deduct tax from me at UK rates, which they'll then retain for themselves, being an offshore company...

Charcoal76

I don't know if you're being unnecessarily paranoid - it would raise a question for me too. There are plenty of reputable UK based umbrellas, so if in doubt, go with one of them.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Is the agency you doing the work through OK with where the umbrella company is based?

Personally if I was going to do more than one contract I would set up a limited.

Leave a comment:

• Charcoal76
    started a topic Umbrella pretending to be UK based?

Umbrella pretending to be UK based?

Dear all,

Charcoal76

Working...
X