• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "WTF am I doing wrong?"

Collapse

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    The OP sounds like a young NWPTC, give them 12 months and they'll be stealth boasting all over the forum about holidays/cars/rates etc....
    True.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    The OP sounds like a young NWPTC, give them 12 months and they'll be stealth boasting all over the forum about holidays/cars/rates etc....

Leave a comment:

• southerngal
    replied
    Ok thank you that is really helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    It depends on what you agree with the client - sometimes the client will pay the expenses, and sometimes they will expect a flat rate and you pick up the expenses.

My current client pays for my expenses when I'm not working from home - hotel, train, flights etc. depending on where I'm travelling to.

If it's 100% in the same place, then I would charge a day rate that includes expenses and not bill them separately.
    Agreed.

Even if my permanent place of work is home, if it turns out I need to be in their office in London for the vast majority of time then I will not charge for that. If they ask me to go to another office for a day / week / month then I will generally charge for travel, hotels, meals, etc. This all needs to be agreed with your client up front.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by southerngal View Post
    By the way I am new to this........Out of interest, the travel to Hamburg, who picks up the bill for that? Do you charge your day rate plus expenses?
    It depends on what you agree with the client - sometimes the client will pay the expenses, and sometimes they will expect a flat rate and you pick up the expenses.

My current client pays for my expenses when I'm not working from home - hotel, train, flights etc. depending on where I'm travelling to.

If it's 100% in the same place, then I would charge a day rate that includes expenses and not bill them separately.

Leave a comment:

• southerngal
    replied
    By the way I am new to this........Out of interest, the travel to Hamburg, who picks up the bill for that? Do you charge your day rate plus expenses?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by MasterP0 View Post
    Yes I am dealing with it hence having a moan about it.
    I reckon if agent can get you to think hes hunted for you specifically then you feel good and hes on a winner. Liklihood is he spammed about a 1000 people and you answered.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    And there's the one.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    No I'm not claiming JSA, should I be?
    PROBABLY.

Leave a comment:

• MasterP0
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I don't know what you should or should not do. I wouldn't do it, but others (or one other) will disagree.
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    No I'm not claiming JSA, should I be?
    I don't know what you should or should not do. I wouldn't do it, but others (or one other) will disagree.

Leave a comment:

• MasterP0
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    How about contacted or approached? Neither word carries the arrogant connotation of "head hunted" which was an absurd term popular in the 1980's & '90's.

Not uncommon for clients to have lousy requirements or a poor job spec they change at the last minute, some people are flexible and will seriously consider changes, alternatively some clients just have to make up the numbers when they have a preferred candidate.

Deal with it.
    Yes I am dealing with it hence having a moan about it.

Leave a comment:

• MasterP0
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Hi OP, with contracting, arrangements are often looser than with permanent. Any interview is good news and the more client people in that interview, the better, especially senior people like the director. If a company wants you to meet their director, that is a good sign. You are selling your business and a big/senior audience is good.

Contracting requirements are often thrown up at short notice. The client can't spend weeks/months refining the spec like they can for permanent roles. Often the client does not know exactly what they need. Then there are several people in the chain, so information gets more garbled. It shouldn't be a problem.

You are in business, dealing with other companies - clients, agents and so on. Each company acts in its own interests and they don't pretend otherwise. Can be a tad frustrating but it's all part of self employment.
    Thanks Unix. I guess it's assuming all will be professionals and communicate changes to original briefs. This time job hunting has really been an eye opener for me.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Hi OP, with contracting, arrangements are often looser than with permanent. Any interview is good news and the more client people in that interview, the better, especially senior people like the director. If a company wants you to meet their director, that is a good sign. You are selling your business and a big/senior audience is good.

Contracting requirements are often thrown up at short notice. The client can't spend weeks/months refining the spec like they can for permanent roles. Often the client does not know exactly what they need. Then there are several people in the chain, so information gets more garbled. It shouldn't be a problem.

You are in business, dealing with other companies - clients, agents and so on. Each company acts in its own interests and they don't pretend otherwise. Can be a tad frustrating but it's all part of self employment.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    There is no point arguing it MasterP. Everyone had made their thoughts very clear to you. Arguing just makes you look even worse. You've had a bit of moan, everyone has pointed out you were incorrect to do so and you are still moaning. Not good really hey?
    Odd really, I wonder how many times we've seen this scenario?

New ID comes along, posts absurd situation, argues against all the considered reasonable advice, advice becomes blunter, argument continues, ID gets banned in the long run for being a troll.

It makes me wonder what the ID creator gets out of this, it's predictable and never amusing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X