• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "First contract - substitution"

Collapse

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by Untouchable1 View Post
    Simply tell them it needs to change. It isn't negotiation.
    Oh, but it is, and the Agency is holding all the trumps. It might come as a bit of a surprise to you but generally (unless it's a niche skill) there are more contractors and permies wannabe contractors than roles at any given time.

And can you enlighten us why "it needs to change"? It's a good thing if you can change it, but if the rest of the contract and the working practices are outside of IR35 there is definitely no "need" to change it.

Leave a comment:

• Untouchable1
    replied
    Simply tell them it needs to change. It isn't negotiation.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hallett
    replied
    All good advice above getting the contract checked etc. given that the contract has this clause as standard and they have removed it, have you questioned why they have removed it in regard of your role?

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Dont try and negotiate over one clause yourself then get it professionally reviewed (I always advise B&C rather than anyone else. Ive always had excellent service from them).

You'll likely have a tough job getting anywhere with the HR and likely hack them off if they did agree to it then find there was yet more negotiating to be done with someone like B&C.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by ORVBA View Post
    Thanks, I didn't realise they could negotiate on my behalf. Sounds good, just looking them up now.
    Qdos will do the negotiating for you as well.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    As others have said, get the contract professionally reviewed. On it's own not having a the right of substitution doesn't mean you are inside IR35.

One thing that everyone missed so far is that this is your first contract, before you start kick in a fuss with the Agency/Client you need to decide how much do you need this contract. And if it's worthwhile to accept the IR35 risk to but your foot through the door of contracting.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    But that's not true..
    TBH I don't care it it is true! Agents routinely lie, why shouldn't I return the favour if it gets me where I want to be. I have used it before (admittedly it was true when I said it but they didn't know that).

And even if you could pull it off there is going to be a problem with the contract not matching working conditions.
    Hmmm, yeah maybe. Although in my experience most companies in practice would not actually allow a sub regardless of the contract but having jumped through this hoop is not a good start.

Leave a comment:

• ORVBA
    replied
    Speak to Baur and Cottrell about contract checks. They will do the negotiations on your behalf

It is important but it's not the only Clause. As long as the D&C and MoO is covered you should be OK. Just make sure B&C or maybe QDOS review the rest of the contract for you...
    Thanks, I didn't realise they could negotiate on my behalf. Sounds good, just looking them up now.

Leave a comment:

• ORVBA
    replied
    Thanks all

I literally just got the contract in my hands and read it myself before anything else and saw the clausebeing removed on the signature page which prompted my post as it seemed a obvious issue for IR35...following what I've read here.

My question was as a first timer, is how to approach the client about changes. There may well be more after a professional review should I decide to have one, that wasn't my question but yes I was seriously considering it regardless.

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Damn! Was I too subtle?
    Not for me, I got it right away but whinestrone might have read the thread and you knpw how thick he is

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Speak to Baur and Cottrell about contract checks. They will do the negotiations on your behalf

It is important but it's not the only Clause. As long as the D&C and MoO is covered you should be OK. Just make sure B&C or maybe QDOS review the rest of the contract for you...

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    He/she said "following the brilliant advice I've found on websites such as this" but didn't mean he/she had actually followed the brilliant advice and had their contract reviewed.
    Damn! Was I too subtle?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Tell them that it is a condition of your insurance that that clause must be present.
    But that's not true.. And even if you could pull it off there is going to be a problem with the contract not matching working conditions.

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Who checked the contract? Qdos?
    He/she said "following the brilliant advice I've found on websites such as this" but didn't mean he/she had actually followed the brilliant advice and had their contract reviewed.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by ORVBA View Post
    Hello,

I've always been a permy, over 18years, but decided to make the jump into contracting. Resigned 3 weeks ago after securing my first contract for 6 months. So, due to start next week and the final contract came through for this first assignment today. On the signature page, under special conditions, they have removed the clause for substitution, saying "Clause XX does not apply". I decided to operate through a ltd company and am quite comfortable with the fact I should be outside IR35, following the brilliant advice I've found on websites such as this I realise that this is a very important clause in the contract. Just wondering how to approach this now, should I just ask for the special condition to be removed, or explain myself in any way? To further complicate, the contract isn't with the agency that found me the assignment, it is with the clients outsourced HR provider. If it was the agency I would have been much more comfortable negotiating. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you
    Tell them that it is a condition of your insurance that that clause must be present.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X