• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Starting another business, keep the same bank account?"

Collapse

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Of corse you can use the same bank account. You can use the same company too. You just need a way to reconcile income for one income stream from the other. I used to use Sage as every transaction had an associated code to identify what the transaction was.

This will make it easy for your accountant or yourself to create the end of year accounts into the two or more income streams.
    It is even easier than that. Just set up a second/third sales account and post invoices to the appropriate account when they are raised.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

It is not even clear what the OP is trying to do.

Why do you even think you need a new company? Unless you plan to diversify into something totally unrelated, you can use the existing setup.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Need to consider flat rate thresholds maybe?

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by ItRYmyBEst View Post
    I have a contracting business and want to start another companie as a startup. Can I use my existing company and bank account or should I make it all fresh and new with companies made simple and another bank account and PI insurance?
    Of corse you can use the same bank account. You can use the same company too. You just need a way to reconcile income for one income stream from the other. I used to use Sage as every transaction had an associated code to identify what the transaction was.

This will make it easy for your accountant or yourself to create the end of year accounts into the two or more income streams.

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    What did your accountant s...

Ach, never mind.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Have a look in the Accounting section. The same situation is being discussed in the top thread as I type this. See if that helps.

Leave a comment:

• ItRYmyBEst
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    So we are assuming you are using your existing LTD as the account belongs to the LTD not to you. If that's the case there is another thread on exactly the same topic going on right now.

Plus all the others that can be found via the search but I didn't say that.
    after reading this

Contractor sideline business – start new company? | Chris Maslin's blog

I think that if I were to keep 1 company I could set up a trading name, and since I am IT contractor and my "new" company is an IT startup, I think I can still use my IT flat rate?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    So we are assuming you are using your existing LTD as the account belongs to the LTD not to you. If that's the case there is another thread on exactly the same topic going on right now.

Plus all the others that can be found via the search but I didn't say that.

Leave a comment:

• Starting another business, keep the same bank account?

I have a contracting business and want to start another companie as a startup. Can I use my existing company and bank account or should I make it all fresh and new with companies made simple and another bank account and PI insurance?

Working...
X