• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fixed term v Rolling Contracts ?"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Work of the devil, is what FTC is.

HTH
    I confuse FTCs with FLCs...

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Gotta say FTC is such a bad option and the differences are black and white so I am not sure why the OP isn't grasping it but we know the OP who isn't a troll so I don't think trolling.
    We do?

Non native English speaker?

Guessing it's just the presence of the word contract then?

OP - replace "Fixed Term Contract" with the phrase "Non-permanent employment", or "Short term employment".
    Last edited by jmo21; 4 March 2015, 14:01.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    It's like pulling teeth with the OP. Must be trolling, surely?
    Gotta say FTC is such a bad option and the differences are black and white so I am not sure why the OP isn't grasping it but we know the OP who isn't a troll so I don't think trolling.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Work of the devil, is what FTC is.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    It's like pulling teeth with the OP. Must be trolling, surely?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
    So its not really worth it if your ltd then.
    As you'd have to close your company or put it in a dormant state for 12 months.
    My account can put my company dormant for a year but at a cost of £60 pm
    And you'd be unlikely to get ER when you do the shutdown.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Are you seriously considering this? You know the rate is pro rata per annum and is fully taxable? I don't think I've seen a FTC that's even close to being worth considering.

Good chance just to shut your company down legitimately. Even if there is no real tax advantage you get rid of anything you'd rather not be questioned about and can start with a clean slate.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JRCT
    replied
    I'm assuming a FTC will not give you sick pay / holiday pay?
    FTCs usually do give sick/ holiday pay in line with an equivalent permie contract.

FTCs are just the worst of both worlds. Cheaper for the end client, I suspect, which is the only reason I can think of for their existence.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Hang on, Are you saying a FTC will give you less benefits than a standard rolling contract. e.g Cant clam for Travel / Food / Expenses?
    FTC is actually not correct. The full title is a Fixed Term Employment Contract.

Lots of info on Gov Website about it.

https://www.gov.uk/fixed-term-contra...dterm-contract

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Hang on, Are you saying a FTC will give you less benefits than a standard rolling contract. e.g Cant clam for Travel / Food / Expenses?
    An FTC is a contract of employment. It isnt a contract for a limited company.

Unless the employer is paying travel, food and other expenses no, you cannot 'claim' these as you have nothing to claim against.

Im not aware of any circumstance where you'd use a limited co on an FTC.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Whats your view on fixed term contracts as apposed to rolling ones?
    Seen some good 12 month fixed term (local government) contracts, but wanted to know what people think. (pros / cons)

Apart from them being totally different aninmals I always avoided FTC. I got quite anoyed with one agent who told me all about this great role only then to reveal it was an FTC. Wasted everyone's time.

FTC you arent a proper permie and not a contractor. They must appeal to some people although I guess they dont realise the implications.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by curtis View Post
    In my experience of FTC's the money has been low so not worth even considering in the first place. The way I can see them being of interest is for you to know you have a years work.
    I've always assumed the worst of people who go for FTC roles eg. they can't get a proper permie job, and won't try real contracting?

Leave a comment:

• curtis
    replied
    In my experience of FTC's the money has been low so not worth even considering in the first place. The way I can see them being of interest is for you to know you have a years work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X